26 August 2017

Captains Courageous - Tolerance

Greetings Dear Reader,

"There's a difference between respecting the spiritual beliefs of other cultures and embracing them myself." – Katherine Janeway – Voyager: Sacred Ground

Do we really consider that there are things that are not acceptable to even consider?  I am not advocating for thought police or denoting that things spring to mind that we have to fend off just because of our nature. 

I am going to use an absurd example.  What I am saying is that it is wrong for me to consider for a moment that it is allowable to think that we should kill someone because the toenail on his or her pinky toe is too small.  Like I said, absurd.  But replace the pinky toe example with something real in your mind. 

There are people who believe that other people should be killed because of their beliefs.  This too is absurd.  Both sides of our deeply divided nation contain factions that embrace this notion.  Then there are those who scream for tolerance unless you embrace something which they will not tolerate.

The deep vein of truth here is that I do not have to agree with you or embrace your beliefs as valid to be good and kind to you.  I do not have to agree that every idea has merit to love those who hold those ideas. 

There are ideas that I find heinous.  There are beliefs that I think absolutely wrong.  It is an error to think that disagreement is rejection of the person.  It is a lie to think that I have to agree with everything you think and believe to love you and treat you with respect.

Those who require us to do so cause great division in the name of tolerance.  They violate the very standards they profess.  Their pleas for tolerance are intolerant. 

I am not permitted to treat anyone in an unloving way.  I do not agree with every belief or position others hold.  I do strive to love everyone.  I will respect your beliefs and values.  I will not always agree.  I will love you and be kind to you.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous26/8/17 22:20

    Thank you for speaking out on this. The news is full of it and the world right now. God made us all... we are all perfect made in God's image. Yes we are fallen and human some of us choose to believe in other things different from God's Word, but that does not give reason to hurt or persecute anyone else. It is not reason to harm others. I pray and hope that we as a human race will take heed to this notion and we can start a new generation of peace. We no not have to agree with others beliefs but we are not to harm others over them.

    ReplyDelete