03 November 2014

On Giving Thanks – A Grateful Heart

Greetings Dear Reader,

When I ponder the things for which I should give thanks I must first start with why I should give thanks.  I have more choices, food, and possessions that most of the world.  We hear a great deal of talk about the one percenters in our nation but on a global scale most Americans are one percenters.

I can get most of what I need with little effort.  Food is in abundance around me.  I own possessions I have not touched in years.  I can move about with complete freedom.  I can whatever I wish as long as it does not impede on the freedoms of others or harm anyone.  I can choose from hundreds of churches without fear of persecution.

I need to be thankful simply because of where I live and the life I have.  The basics are mine and in abundant supply.  I have family to love and support.  I have a good life.  If I do not see this daily I become dissatisfied and seek things that are unhealthy for me.  Worse I commit the error of pursuing more when I have enough.  I am too good at excess to risk that.

As I approach making my heart more thankful I need to look honestly at all that I have.  I must also be willing to reduce what I have in excess for the benefit of others.  I must share cheerfully with those in need.  I must be aware that the more I have the more accountable I am for those things.  My heart must be fixed on Christ and see all that I have in light of his blessings.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment