16 November 2014

On Giving Thanks – Meals

Greetings Dear Reader,

Last evening my Son, my Grandsons, and my Daughter all joined me for dinner.  My other Son was working and could not make it.  He was missed.  I attempted homemade gyros for the first time.  By this I mean actually preparing the meat from scratch and making my own Tzatziki sauce.  In addition I made sautéed eggplant with sweet curry.

It was fun to try something new.  I need a few more attempts to get the meat right but the meal was a success.  It was a success because of the company.  My Daughter, Christmas helped with the prep.  My Grandsons helped with the fun.  My Son, Maxim helped with the dishes. 

I am so thankful for meals.  For the first time in over a decade my family will gather together for Thanksgiving.  I will see nieces and nephews that I have not seen in years.  I will meet a couple I have never met.  I look forward to gathering around the table with people I love and rarely see. 

Before that I will prepare food for my Grandson Orion’s birthday party.  Shortly after that I will prepare food for our Christmas open house.  I try to express my gratitude to God for every step of the process.  The planning is good for my creative mind.  The prep brings to mind other good times in kitchens across the years.  It is also the time where I pray out my thankfulness for God’s provision in my life. The meal or the party allows me to show love for others and enjoy them. 

There is something about a meal around a table that enriches me.  There is something about preparing a meal for others that heals bits and pieces in me.  I know that Jesus understood this and he often used meal time as teaching time.  I am thankful for food well-made and enjoyed by others.

I am very thankful for time with my children last night over a good meal.  The leftovers later will extend the joy through the memory and extend the thanks as well.  It all helps keep Thanksgiving in perspective. For me must be about the gratitude for all my blessings and then about the food.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.” (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment