09 November 2014

On Giving Thanks – The Salvation Army

Greetings Dear Reader,

My favorite waitress at my favorite diner also works for the Salvation Army overnight at one of their shelters.  She often shares stories with me of the people that the shelter helps and the opportunity they get to get real jobs and real homes.

No organization is perfect but the Salvation Army succeeds in doing some very fine work.  Most of the donations they receive actually go to helping others.  According to the BBB only about 11% of their donations go to overhead.  That is remarkable compared to some other charities that do the same work.  One such popular charity is at 25%.  The next best is at 18%.

Each year the Salvation Army counts on donations from it Red Kettle Campaign to supply a large portion of its annual operating budget.  I realize most of us associate this with Christmas but the campaign begins before Thanksgiving.   This year bell ringing shifts begin on November 14th.  You can sign up at their Ring Bells web site.

One of the ways I show my gratitude is by volunteering to ring bells for the Salvation Army.   We make it a family event and I provide breakfast for any of my kids who show up.  What matters is that the kettles get filled.  The money goes directly to those in need. 

I realize this sounds more like an advertisement than my usual musings.   So be it.  I think that following Christ sometimes requires that I promote others who do the same.  So here is the challenge Dear Reader.  Sign up for one shift.  I have already signed up for several.  It is fun and only costs two hours of your time.  Let me know if you do.  I promise to share in the joy.

If you cannot then remember to drop a few coins in the kettle every time you can.  Listen for the bells ringing as you shop and count it an opportunity to help people you will never meet.  Who knows you may encounter me if you do.  After all the silver bells you are the sound of thousands of people in need asking for your help.

Silver Bells – Anne Murray

Silver bells silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Hear the bells go ring-a-ling
Soon it will be Christmas day

City sidewalks busy sidewalks .
Dressed in holiday style
In the air
There's a feeling
of Christmas

Children laughing
People passing
Meeting smile after smile
And on every street corner you'll hear

Silver bells silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Soon it will be Christmas day

Strings of street lights
Even stop lights
Blink a bright red and green
As the shoppers rush
home with their treasures

Hear the snow crunch
See the kids rush
This is Santa's big scene
And above all this bustle
You'll hear

Silver bells, silver bells
It's Christmas time in the city
Ring-a-ling, hear them ring
Soon it will be Christmas day

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment