06 November 2014

On Giving Thanks – Snow

Greetings Dear Reader,

Now if I offend you Dear Reader I will ask your forgiveness in advance.  I love snow.  I realize it poses challenges and often causes delays in our lives.  In most cases the adjustment is easy if we undertake it and prepare.

There are reasons why I love the snow.  First and foremost is the natural beauty of my home when surrounded by a fresh blanket of the stuff.  The billions of tiny crystals unite to form a new and fresh landscape outside my window.  It warms and wonders me as I write.

And then there is November 6, 2008.  It was just dark when the dance of white fluffy flakes began to fall.  Christmas had only come to live with us ten days earlier.  She had only ever seen snow once and at a distance.  I called her outside to show her the crystal beauty drifting down on a gentle evening breeze.

The gasp of wonder and awe is forever imprinted in my mind.  What burned even deeper were the tears.  Christmas was a new Christ follower emerging from a life of pain and abuse.  She had risked everything for a chance at a better life.  She had gambled it all on God and my family.

We had talked often about snow and how much I loved its beauty and grace.  Tears were running down her face as she watched the snow whiten our yard and cars.  I asked her why she was crying.  Her response made me value forever the creation of very flake.  “It is all true,” she said.  “Everything you told me about being safe and free is true.  You even told the truth about the snow.”

Today I am thankful for snow more than ever.  We had one hundred inches of it during Christmas’ first winter with us.  Many painful things unfolded during that winter.  The price for my attempt to do good carried a price I could not imagine. Every time, however,  I looked at the snow I was reminded of the power of Christ’s love to change lives and bring hope.

I am very thankful for Christmas and snow.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment