16 March 2018

The Courage to Love ~ A Conscious Choice


Greetings Dear Reader,

Courage is defined as the ability to do something that frightens one or to have strength in the face of pain or grief.  When faced with fear, pain, grief, or any combination thereof we make choices.  The same is true of choosing to love others.

We have been hurt, sometimes so deeply it feels debilitating.  We feel the pain of loss or abandonment.  We remember what it cost us to love and how much it hurt to have that love betrayed.  The pain of loss and grief can stay with us our entire lives.  I know that there are losses that I have not entirely gotten past.

No matter the source of the loss or pain connected to love, it takes courage to love.   There is risk of the pain or sorrow repeating.  We are in danger when we love so it takes courage. We must make a conscious choice to face the danger; to take the risk.

The risk to love is always worth it.  I speak as someone who has been deeply hurt.  I have been abandoned and betrayed.  I have had my honest attempts to be loving to others trampled on by anger and malice.  No hurt is too deep to not try again.  No pain is too intense to risk not risking love.

We must choose to “screw our courage to the sticking place.”  We must make the conscious choice to love others no matter how much it hurts.  I must do this with everyone.  Anything I say or do that is not motivated by my love for others is just empty action and useless noise.

I must think and act with intent.  I must choose to love in thought and action always.  It is in this that I perfect my motives and strengthen my courage.  I will still get hurt.  I will still face rejection and betrayal.   I will also reap the great benefits found in loving others whatever the cost.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment