13 March 2018

Grand-Splaining


Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the great blessings in my life are my two Grandsons.  They are both very intelligent and gifted.  When I get to see them each week I am delighted at the new things they have learned and the stories they have to tell.

Recently the eldest felt the need to explain to me how something worked.  He spent a good five minutes going over the details of how to do something that I have done since I was his age.  Since I am a writer and get to make up words, I have dubbed this “Grand-Splaining”.  When grandchildren explain things to their grandparents when the grandparents already know it is Grand-Splaining.  The grandchild does not realize that the grandparent knows it.

The joy for me is to listen patiently to my Grandsons articulate what they know.  Eventually they will figure out that I already know many of the things about which they wish to inform me.  In the mean time I will cherish how they share their time and knowledge with me. 

It does occur to me that I do the same thing with God.  When I am in a situation I find that I am explaining it to him as if he is not omniscient.  I try to give him an angle on what I am thinking or learning.  He listens and I am sure at times laughs at my attempt to make things clearer for him.  I am thankful that he is patient with me. 

There will come a time when my Grandsons’ knowledge surpasses mine.  At that time, they will have to Grand-Splain and in some cases Grand-Train.  I will remain thankful that I will never have to do either for God.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous13/3/18 22:39

    I love the terms you've made up. It does take a special type of patience to sit through a child explaining something that we as adults already know the full workings of and how to do it. But yes one of these days that explaining will become priceless to us. It's also a good life learning lesson for them to be able to explain what they know. And us not shutting that down let's them grow types of tools that will be so helpful to them in their coming years of education. Your always a teacher and you help us to see the bigger picture in the small things. Don't stop teaching and we won't stop learning. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

    ReplyDelete