30 March 2018

What’s the Buzz ~ Holy Week 2018 ~ Into the Darkness


Greetings Dear Reader,

We are the ones who kill.  We are the ones who took things from good to bad.  We invent new ways to destroy each other.  We are the ones who need forgiveness and redemption.

When we come to this day there is nothing to mitigate our guilt.  I am as guilty as Pilate, the Sanhedrin, and the Romans with whip and hammer.  God’s blood is on my hands.  His beating and humiliation are caused by my failure to love him as I should.  I may share the guilt with others but it never lessens mine.

Then there is the rest of the truth.  The vital kernel of the truth that makes it all necessary.  I need this death to live.  I cannot have my failures forgiven if Christ does not die for me.  I cannot earn forgiveness.  I cannot buy it.  Nothing I do will repair the rift my sin creates.

Then the Father sends the Son knowing that this is how the end begins. This is the last bit of sand that needs to fall through the pinch before the glass can be turned.  This is the long day and night of redemption.  This has been the plan all along.  No one takes the life of Jesus.  He lays it down freely.  He came to rescue us from ourselves. 

We can plan our meals and pick out our pretty floral bonnets. However, what I must carry is truth of the dying God.  The God who became like me, so much like me, so that he could rescue me from my own failures.  It is in this truth that I arrive at the cross and await the resurrection.  It is in this moment that I look upon the full cost of my own sin.

Now we wait.  We wait in sorrow and hope.  We wait in faith and fear.  It is Friday…

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment: