16 July 2019

The Lumpy Rug ~ Pretty Little Lies


Greetings Dear Reader,

Being back in the South makes one well aware of the lies we grew up telling.  I am not talking about the lies we use to deceive and avoid guilt or discovery.  I am talking about the social lies we tell each other every day.  The lies we tell to drift through interactions with ease and to avoid discomfort.

I watch this unfold at social gatherings often.  One person enquires as to the state of another and in most cases, the little lie is told.  We are fine.  Things are going well.  Instead of honest responses, we give out the expected social response.  Last Tuesday I encountered an acquaintance whom I know well enough to stop and have a conversation.  She was standing, crying in a store.

As I approached, I could see her try to pull herself together.  I inquired, “What is wrong?  How can I help you?”

She looked at me with deep green, watered makeup, raccoon eyes and said through freely flowing tears, “Oh I am fine.”

I stepped through the lie and said, “I am not going to pry.  I care that you are having difficulty.  Is there anything I can do for you?”

She proceeded to tell me that she was overwhelmed by some news she had just received.  I listened.  We prayed right there by the pretzels and crisps.  She managed a wane smile when we were done.  Inside the pretty little lie was the opportunity to help.    

One of the truths about lies is that if we tell them enough, we begin to believe them.  The lie we believe, that we are “fine” is rarely true.  The truth we must find behind pour social lies is that there are others who will care.  We do matter more than we think. 

We also lie to ourselves by thinking we are right and others are wrong.  We do not hear our approach and assume that we are just being honest when what we are doing is lying.  We think that we are softer, more diplomatic, and more in the right that we actually are.  We are cloaking our own failure to be inclined to the hearts of others in escalation and argument.  This lie hurts us and others.

These poor social interactions, coupled with others make for lumpy rugs that eventually trip us all.  The entire idea of communication is supposed to be an exchange of honest love with humility and grace.  Instead, we build a social house of cards that is easily toppled with the first wind of honesty.  When it falls, if that honesty is not loving, kind, and gentle, we are not serving that which is good.  We are not following as we should Dear Reader.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment