31 July 2019

Within This Moment ~ Closing Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that some folks think that “for thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory” is part of this prayer example from Jesus.  It is not in the NIV translation, I am using for this but there is a good article for its inclusion.  My purpose here is not to discuss that but rather to close out this series with some observations about the vital nature of the cyclical aspect of prayer.

I was speaking with Avalon recently at length about prayer.  I think too deeply sometimes and it gets me in trouble.  The question I have been ping-ponging in my head is this:  If the Father is omniscient, and he is, then he already knows what I am going to say when I pray.  He also already knows what his response is.  What, therefore, is the purpose of prayer?

My conversations with here help me crystalize my thinking on important things and this was no exception.  I posed this question and first gave the pat answer that, though true, is not enough.  We pray out of obedience to our Father.

It should enough, be but I am stubborn and stiff-necked when it comes to answers to my questions.  I try to process honestly in the moment with Avalon.  It makes for great communication.  This is what I said, “We interact with God about people so we know how to interact with the people. Then, their interactions with us drive us back to interacting with God with a deeper understanding.”

This makes more sense to me than anything I have pondered about prayer to an omniscient God.  By rehearsing my attitudes and thoughts with my Father, he can guide me into more loving and gracious interaction with others.  He can nudge me and correct me about attitudes and ideas that are not reflective of his love.  I can refine my heart to be more like his in my approach to other humans.   I can become more mindful about the very foundation of how I am to interact with my fellow travelers.

Doing this, conditions my thinking so that I do not have to react.  I know how to respond instead.  I am aware of the right way to think and be towards others even when they are unkind or offensive.   My conversation has already been seated in thoughts of love, grace, mercy, and kindness.  When my selfish and angry buttons get pushed, I have already disabled them with thoughts of how my Father wishes me to behave toward his other children. 

When their actions and words do harm me, I can return to the Father and pour out my hurts to him.  He already knows and has already provided words of comfort and a Comforter to be with me in that quiet dark pain.  I do not have to mince words or be diplomatic.  I can be raw and honest with the Father in the center of my one-on-one time with him.  I can find peace in my pain and healing for my wounds.  I can hear the peaceful refrain God sings my in my brain because I was faithful to his desire for me as his son.  I can see that I have followed his Son a little more closely. 

This cyclical conversation gets easier and the narrow way of love about all else becomes a path more navigable.  It also becomes easier to find and follow the path home.  Exercising the heart to love first in each moment strengthens my armor and my power is greater.  The closer I draw to Christ, the more readily I respond from the heart with love in the moment.  It is easier to say in every moment, “This, then, is how you should pray: ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us today our daily bread.  And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.”  For yours is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory, forever and ever.  Amen.

If you have the time you may wish to listen to part of a sermon by the late S.M. Lockridge.  He explains the nature of the King we follow and who asks us to pray this way.  It is worth understanding Dear Reader.  We must learn to want all things in Jesus’ model prayer in every moment.  That is the path home.  I find great joy in walking it with you.


The Bible says my King is a seven-way king  He's the King of the Jews; that's a racial king  He's the King of Israel; that's a national King  He's the King of Righteousness  He's the King of the Ages  He's the King of Heaven  He's the King of Glory  He's the King of kings, and He's the Lord of lords. That's my King.
Well...I wonder, do you know Him?

David said, "The Heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament showeth His handiwork."  My King is a sovereign King.  No means of measure can define His limitless love.  No far-seeing telescope can bring into visibility the coastline of His shoreless supply.  No barrier can hinder Him from pouring out His blessings.  He's enduringly strong.  He's entirely sincere.  He's eternally steadfast.  He's immortally graceful.  He's imperially powerful.  He's impartially merciful.
Do you know Him?

He's the greatest phenomenon that has ever crossed the horizon of this world.  He's God's Son. He's the sinner's Savior.  He's the centerpiece of civilization.  He stands in the solitude of Himself.  He's august and He's unique.  He's unparalleled.  He's unprecedented.  He is the loftiest idea in literature.  He's the highest personality in philosophy.  He is the supreme problem in higher criticism.  He's the fundamental doctrine of true theology.  He is the cardinal necessity for spiritual religion.  He's the miracle of the age.  He's -- yes, He is -- He is the superlative of everything good that you choose to call Him.

He's the only one qualified to be an all-sufficient Savior.  I wonder if you know Him today.  He supplies strength for the weak.  He's available for the tempted and the tried.  He sympathizes and He saves.  He strengthens and sustains.  He guards and He guides.  He heals the sick.  He cleansed the lepers.  He forgives sinners.  He discharges debtors.  He delivers the captives.  He defends the feeble.  He blesses the young.  He serves the unfortunate.  He regards the aged.  He rewards the diligent....and He beautifies the meek.
I wonder if you know Him.

Well, my King....He is the King!  He's the key to knowledge.  He's the wellspring of wisdom.  He's the doorway of deliverance.  He's the pathway of peace.  He's the roadway of righteousness.  He's the highway of holiness.  He's the gateway of glory.
Do you know Him?

Well, His office is manifold.  His promise is sure....and His light is matchless.  His goodness is limitless.  His mercy is everlasting.  His love never changes.  His word is enough.  His grace is sufficient.  His reign is righteous.  And His yoke is easy, and his burden is light.  I wish I could describe Him to you, but He's indescribable -- Yes He is!  He is God!  He's incomprehensible.  He's invincible.  He's irresistible.  Well, you can't get Him out of your mind.  You can't get Him off of your hand.  You can't outlive Him, and you can't live without Him.

The Pharisees couldn't stand Him, but they found out they couldn't stop Him.  Pilate couldn't find any fault in Him.  The witnesses couldn't get their testimonies to agree.  Herod couldn't kill Him.  Death couldn't handle Him, and the grave couldn't hold Him.  Yea!!!, that's my King, that's my King.

Yes, and Thine is the Kingdom....and the Power....and the Glory...Forever....and ever, and ever, and ever -- How long is that? And ever, and ever.  And when you get through with all of the forevers, then. AMEN!  Good God Almighty!  AMEN!   AMEN!

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   


No comments:

Post a Comment