31 July 2019

Second Thoughts ~ Informal Attire, Pineapples, and Parrot Heads


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have a strong affinity for Hawaiian shirts.  Half of my button-down shirts are Hawaiian shirts.  I have collected them over the years and find them both comfortable and utilitarian.  Still, I have found that there is also a sense of either formality or informality in each shirt.  One can dress up in tropical climates in the right kind of Hawaiian or Aloha shirt. 

I have been doing a study on this and have some guidelines for my guy friends who want to be sure to wear the proper Hawaiian shirt for the proper occasion.  Let me say to the women who read this, I am not leaving you out.  I will get to you a bit down the path and I promise it is neither exclusive nor unkind.  You could even end up with free shirts. 

First guys, we should consider the types of Aloha shirts from which we may choose.  Aside from the traditional straight hemmed floral print shirt we imagine when thinking of this attire, there are the following:

Barong Tagalog – formal Filipino shirt made of Pineapple fiber
Batik – Indonesian and Malaysian shirt worn casually or as business attire
Guayabera – Caribbean shirt is worn casually or as business attire
Kariyushi shirt – Okinawan shirt is worn casually or as business attire
Camp Shirt (also known as a Cabin or Cabana shirt)
Bowling shirt (you can see how these fit the style if not the environment)

I think that the most important line to draw is the distinction between formal and informal Hawaiian shirt wear.  One may wear a more formal shirt like the Guayabera or the Kariyushi in informal situations.  The wearing of the traditional silky Aloha shirt or a Bowling shirt in a formal situation should be avoided, however.  One can usually tell by the material and stiffness of the shirt if it is acceptable to wear to the club or Joe-Bob’s funeral.  The type of print can also be a determining factor.  Uncle Jay’s pinup-girl bomber-art shirt was not a hit at cousin Dorita’s wedding.  Then again Uncle Jay was not a hit either.  He did look good in it as his funeral though.

I have noticed that some men, in an attempt to look more formal in a printed Aloha shirt will choose a heavier fabric and starch the collar and button row.  This is a nice look but too much effort.  Stick to an Oxford if you wish the effect of an Oxford.  Also, whilst we are on Aloha shirt faux pas, do avoid tucking in any shirt that might hint at being a Hawaiian.  It flies in the face of the very spirit of an informal shirt and may be offensive to Jimmy Buffett or Tom Selleck. 

If some fella in a fancy tourist shop tries to sell you a long-sleeved Hawaiian shirt, politely excuse yourself and leave.  That is as ridiculous as tuxedo shorts and both only belong on a runway during fashion week.  The best place to get a good Hawaiian shirt is at a thrift shop.  It is cheaper and genuinely reflects the spirit of the attire. 

Remember that Jesus does not care if you wear Aloha shirts.  I have seen good pastors preach great sermons in a Guayabera.  I know some missionaries who do not own any other shirts than Batik.  It is not the attire that matters.  It is the man.

In case you are wondering Dear Reader, the other half of my shirts are seersucker shirts.  That is an entire study in itself and must wait until later.  For now, find yourself a couple of nice Hawaiian shirts and enjoy their light comfortable fit.  Oh, and I did not forget about the ladies. They should steal your shirt and wear it however they wish.  They will look better in them and can get away with wearing them anywhere for any occasion.  If you need help finding the right kind of Aloha shirt for you, drop me a line.   I will make us a batch of margaritas and we can discuss it.

I could not find a good Hawaiian shirt song Dear Reader.  Here is a Jimmy Buffet classic with the lost verse.  Remember that we do not have to wear anything special to find joy in the journey and be pleasing when we arrive home.

Margaritaville – Jimmy Buffet (lost verse version)

Nibblin' on sponge cake
Watchin' the sun bake
All of those tourists covered with oil
Strumming my six string on my front porch swing
Smell those shrimp they're beginnin' to boil
Wastin' away again in Margaritaville
Searchin' for my long lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
But I know it's nobody's fault

Don't know the reason
Stayed here all season
Nothing to show but this brand new tattoo
But it's a real beauty
A Mexican cutie
How it got here I haven't a clue
Wastin' away again in Margaritaville
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
Now I think hell it could be my fault

Old men in tank tops
Cruising the gift shops
Checking out Chiquitas down by the shore
They dream about weight loss
Wish they could be their own boss
Those three-day vacations become such a bore

I blew out my flip flop
Stepped on a pop-top
Cut my heel had to cruise on back home
But there's booze in the blender
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on
Wastin' away again in Margaritaville
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame
But I know it's my own damn fault
Yes and some people claim that there's a woman to blame
And I know it's my own damn fault

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2/8/19 13:03

    You may find the guayaberas also here; https://www.mycubanstore.com/traditional-cotton-blend-long-sleeve-guayabera-shirt.html

    ReplyDelete