23 September 2015

Already and the not yet – Digital Dissatisfaction

Greetings Dear Reader,

Next month I am due for a new phone at a low price.  In trying to decide which phone I want to acquire it occurred to me how skilled the phone industry is at creating digital dissatisfaction.  My current phone is excellent.  Most of the new ones I have to choose from lack features that I value.

As I ponder this I realize that computers generate this same discontent.  When I transition to my home hardware to the hardware I use at work there is instant desire for more, better, and faster.  The constant spiral of new software and hardware push both in the direction of constant need.

This is a great example of how we fail to embrace the already and abandon it for the not yet.  We live in the constant state of dissatisfaction over what we do not have.  We miss the potential and value of contentment with what we do have.  If I compare the speed and power of this PC to my first one there are light years of advancement to appreciate. 

Whilst most of my life needs to be moving from the already to the not yet, when it comes to contentment it is the opposite.  I must learn to be content with what I have already and not overthink what I do not have.  It is in the moment that I must value and appreciate what I have.  I must avoid the greed inherent in material not yet. 

There will be constant enticement to dissatisfaction with my already have.  In the case of possessions I must not allow dissatisfaction to push me to greed and obsession with passion.  It only causes me to gather things that weigh me down and hinder my following.

Loose Ends – Dan Fogelberg

Climbing a mountain in darkness
Stranded alone on the ledge
Every attempt that I make to hold on
Pushes me nearer the edge
Sensing the changes impending
My thoughts are diffused by despair
I feel like I'm swimming straight up underwater
Desperately racing for air
I'm racing for air

And the chords struck at birth grow more distant
Yet, we strike them again and again
And we plead and we pray for a glimmer of day
As the night folds its wings and descends
Exposing the loose ends

Surrounding myself with possessions
I surely have more than I need
I don't know if this is justice hard earned
Or simply a matter of greed
A matter of greed

And the chords struck at birth grow more distant
Yet, we strike them again and again
And we plead and we pray for a glimmer of day
As the night folds its wings and descends
Exposing the loose ends)

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment