17 September 2015

In Christ Alone – My Comforter

Greetings Dear Reader,

We all know that smile that parents get when they see their children about to learn an important lesson.   I think sometimes God gives me that knowing look.  As parents we also have those moments where we ask our children just to trust us. 

God promises to be my comforter if I will let him.  He assures me that even in my solitude I am not alone.  Most of my mind screams that he does not understand when I know he does.  Most of friends insist that I will get used to being alone.  I do not believe that for a moment. 
  
We do so many things to comfort our lives.  There is something about other humans that comforts me.  When I am alone for too long it is almost physical pain.  When I dine alone it impedes my spirit in a way I have never been able to overcome.  When I am alone for too long it hinders my sleep and my stability.   Still I must choose to do what is right.  Still I must allow Christ to teach me what he wishes to teach me.

I do believe that God will see me through this.  I know he has me sequestered for a reason.  Not knowing the reason makes it more difficult.  Being willing to learn makes it less so.  So I open my devotional at work to steel myself for the day.  Immediately I feel that parental smile from God as he sees me beginning to see. 

Once again Streams in the Desert seems to be tracking with my life…

Hide thyself by the brook Cherith (1 Kings 17:3).

God's servants must be taught the value of the hidden life. The man who is to take a high place before his fellows must take a low place before his God. We must not be surprised if sometimes our Father says: "There, child, thou hast had enough of this hurry, and publicity, and excitement; get thee hence, and hide thyself b the brook--hide thyself in the Cherith of the sick chamber, or in the Cherith of bereavement, or in some solitude from which the crowds have ebbed away."

Happy is he who can reply, "This Thy will is also mine; I flee unto Thee to hide me. Hide me in the secret of Thy tabernacle, and beneath the covert of Thy wings!"

Every saintly soul that would wield great power with men must win it in some hidden Cherith. The acquisition of spiritual power is impossible, unless we can hide ourselves from men and from ourselves in some deep gorge where we may absorb the power of the eternal God; as vegetation through long ages absorbed these qualities of sunshine, which it now gives back through burning coal…Our Lord found His Cherith at Nazareth, and in the wilderness of Judea; amid the olives of Bethany, and the solitude of Gadara. None of us, therefore, can dispense with some Cherith where the sounds of human voices are exchanged for the waters of quietness which are fed from the throne; and where we may taste the sweets and imbibe the power of a life hidden with Christ.   --Elijah, by Meyer

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment