15 May 2018

Gratitude ~ Emergency Services


Greetings Dear Reader,

Where I live I can sometimes hear sirens going down the motorway.  I can usually distinguish between police and fire/rescue sirens.  I try to always pray for those in need and those on the way. 

Do we really show gratitude to those who stay up all night and work the holidays so that we can be safe or obtain emergency care?  I am concerned that we do not understand the level of sacrifice they offer to serve us.  I become more aware each time I speak with my brother who is a paramedic. 

I am blessed that I have only needed emergency services a few times in my life.  In those times I have received excellent care.  None of those time was my life in danger.  Still, I need to have gratitude on behalf of the secondary benefit I receive. 

Last week I walked out of my door on the way to my car.  I found myself surrounded by uniformed police officers and detectives.  I immediately stopped, put my hands in clear sight, and asked if they needed me to do anything.  One of the uniformed officers politely told me that if I could show him my ID it would be helpful.  I did.

There were seven police vehicles, a forensic unit, and a few detective cars.  They were keenly interested in my neighbor.  After they verified my identification one of the officers walked me to my car and wished me well.  I thanked him for doing his part to keep us safe.  I asked him to pass on my gratitude to the team. 

As I drove away I again thanked God for those who serve us and protect us.  I prayed for my neighbor.  I still do not know what the issue was nor do I need to know.  What matters is that I am grateful for those who protect and serve and save.  I am thankful that I live in a place where people still pull over for emergency vehicles.  I have great gratitude for those who sacrifice so much just to keep us safe.

I thank them when I can.  I offer kindness whenever possible.  You would not believe the level of smile you get when you thank an officer blocking your driveway for enforcing the four-way stop sign on your corner.  How do you show your appreciation for emergency personnel Dear Reader?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment