14 May 2018

Gratitude ~ Movies


Greetings Dear Reader,

I first discovered movies as a lad.  My mum would sometimes work on Saturdays and would send me next door to the Fox Theatre for their Saturday children’s movie.  The inside of the theatre was like being in a castle at night.   The ceiling filled with stars twinkled at dusk showing the walls and towers of the castle around the perimeter. 

As a boy I saw movies like Jack the Giant Killer and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. It was always a double-feature with heaps of cartoons thrown in for good measure.  The time was magical to me. 

The progression was first to a steady diet of old movies on a local UHF channel.  I was treated to the great classics, desert dramas, and Abbot and Costello comedies.  There were some great science fiction reels there as well. 

The first movie I attended on my own was The Land that Time Forgot.  It was at a small local theatre.  I sat through it twice.  Then I got a job at a mall with a theatre.  I would work my shift in the morning on Saturday and take in a movie before going home.

There was a time where the church I attended convinced me that all movies were bad.  I knew better but conformed for a little while out of false guilt.  I returned to my silver screen adventures when Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan released in 1982. 

I am always grateful for an adventure.  Understanding the work and skill that goes into making a movie makes me even more appreciative.  They become fodder for discussion and comradery.  What about you Dear Reader?  What is your favorite movie?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment