28 May 2018

Gratitude ~ Purple Hearts


Greetings Dear Reader,

Please do not think that I am thankful for the cause of the Purple Heart medal.  I hate that we turn to violence to settle our differences.  I am grieved that humans die at the hands of other humans over ideas and things. 

Today, Memorial Day, we remember all of those who have died to protect the freedom of this country.  Everyone who dies in the military receives the Purple Heart.  On August 7, 1782, General George Washington - then the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army - established the Purple Heart award, originally designated as the Badge of Military Merit.

On the TV show American Pickers an episode featured the Antique Archeology team finding the family of a deceased Purple Heart recipient.  I have often seen the medal in pawn shops and surplus stores.  An organization Purple Hearts Reunited is a not-for-profit group that does this work.  We can show our gratitude by help them.

We have so much to be grateful for as a nation.  We are too busy fighting and being divided to remember the blood shed so we would be united.  Parents, children, spouses, and siblings have gone from us to ask us to stand united.  I am grateful for their sacrifice. 

When the two World Wars erupted we united to repel real evil.  Now we kill each other over anger and inconvenience.  I am thankful for my freedom but I am also aware that I need to use part of that to honor those who bought if for me with their lives.

I am not an “America right or wrong” guy.  I am a man who is grateful and realizes that with every freedom comes responsibility.  Thank you, men and women of the armed forces who died there to protect life here.  I cannot repay you but I will not forget you or fail to be grateful for what you have given me. 

Freedom Never Cries – Five for Fighting

I took a flag to a pawn shop
For a broken guitar
I took a flag to a pawn shop
How much is that guitar
I took a flag to a pawn shop
I got me that guitar
What's a flag in a pawn shop to me?

I saw a man on the TV
In a mask with a gun
A man on the TV
He had a ten year old son
I saw a man on the TV
His son had a gun
And he says that he's coming for me

I never loved the soldier until there was a war
Or thought about tomorrow
'Til my baby hit the floor
I only talk to God when somebody's about to die
I never cherished freedom
Freedom never cries

I wrote a song for a dead man
To settle my soul
A song for a dead man
And now I'll never grow old
I wrote a song for a dead man
Now I'm out in the cold
What's a song to a dead man to me?

I never loved the soldier until there was a war
Or thought about tomorrow
'Til my baby hit the floor
I only talk to God when somebody's about to die
I never cherished freedom
Freedom never cries

You can cry for her
Die for her
Lay down your life for her
Kiss and wave goodbye to her
Anything at all
You can cry for her
Die for her
Make up your mind to her
Anything at all, oh

There's a baby on the doorstep
Wailing away
There's a baby on the doorstep
Longing for the day
There's a baby on the doorstep
Who'd give his life to take
A flag to a pawn shop
A flag to a pawn shop
May he forget why he is crying some day

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment