08 May 2018

Second Thoughts ~ Teachers


Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you, Dear Reader.

Since it is Teacher Appreciation Day, I thought I would spend my second thought expressing some of that appreciation.  I will start with a general “thank you” to all who have labored over the years, both difficult and easy ones, to teach me.  I know that I was not always a good student both academically and socially.  Thank you for teaching me.

I would like to call out some of the teachers that mean the most to me.  I must start with my grade two teacher, Miss Smith.  I wish that I could tell her face to face how much she meant to me.,  You can read about her in Sheetrock on the Road.  She taught me that my words had power.

Miss Simms taught me that if I worked I could reason my way through almost anything.  Miss O’Conner instructed me in the difference between knowing versus being able to prove to others that I know.  Sister Eileen helped me see that my curiosity had great value.  Mr. Streib taught what a Bard was and that I could be one without compromising my faith.

Professor Myers taught me how to love teaching.  Professor Wulf made sure I knew how good I was at the craft.  Professor Johns handed me challenges that helped me see the world in a more balanced way.  Professor Farley taught me to love obscure knowledge and embrace dry humor.  Professor Williams rekindled my love of literature and puns.

Every teacher sacrifices something to embrace the calling to teach.  My decades as a teacher were the easiest work I have ever done.  It is those few students who take the time to truly say thank you that mean the most in later years.  It is my honor to attempt that tonight.  What teachers do you wish to thank Dear Reader?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10/5/18 03:15

    Thank you for your sacrifice to be able to teach for so many years. I can only imagian how many lives you touched. I have some teachers also who will always be in my heart and their lessons always with me. And what's interesting to me, is there are some teachers that I didnt even have classes with that still would teach me and help me though struggles. A teacher is always a teacher. I am greatful also for all the men and woman out there who have worked so hard to give back and teach so many. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete