10 May 2018

Gratitude ~ Giving


Greetings Dear Reader,

I suppose it may seem odd to be grateful for giving.  Usually one receives gratitude for giving.  It is not supposed to be the purpose of giving but it should follow.  One must always be grateful when receiving a gift.

It is vital, however, that we understand that giving is a privilege as well.  “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”  If we accept that as an axiom then it follows that we should be grateful for the opportunity to give.

In trying to live this out I have adopted a response when people thank me for giving.  I respond that it is a privilege.  The person I say it to is often surprised and I enjoy that.  Occasionally someone will challenge and ask if I really think that giving is a privilege.  I do.  I tell them as much.  I am honored to be able to give.

If we learn to view giving as a gift we share we can give more freely, more abundantly.  If I treat giving as the privilege it is, then it is easier to resist selfishness and greed.  It becomes joyful to put others first, to share my resources, and to be generous.  It removes my need to grasp and possess.

Giving is one of the things that makes what us we are.  It forges things eternal.  It shows our love and compassion.  Can you see giving as something for which to be grateful?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment