02 December 2018

Where Are You Christmas ~ Scrooge and Grinch


Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

As I was waiting in line to order lunch this past Wednesday, the man behind me remarked about the slow nature of the service.  He was in a hurry and felt quite flustered.  I was neither in a hurry nor flustered. 

I suggested that we switch places in line so that he could at least order one person sooner.  He resisted at first but then I convinced him that I was in possession of an abundance of time today.  He relented and we switched.

Noticing my Santa Hat and Christmas scarf he commented whilst we waited.  He explained that he is being a Grinch and does not care for the Christmas season at all.  I listened to his story of loss and hurt as we shuffled forward in line.  He repeated again that he is just a Grinch now.

Allowing a moment of silence, I smiled at the man and said, “That is all right.  We know how the Grinch story ends.”  For the first time in our conversation he also smiled.  When it was his turn to order lunch the girl at the counter asked him how he was doing.  He explained that he was doing better than when he got here.

Finding Christmas this year must involve seeing the opportunities to be kind to others a seizing them.  I can mitigate my own hurt and loss by creating moments of joy for others.  I can be vigilant about guarding my heart against the bitterness that resulted in the Grinch and Scrooge needing a story from the outset.

The things that assail our hearts need not win.  Stopping or ignoring the reality of Christmas is impossible.  It is a yearning in our heart to feel the joy of a world in hope. This may be the non-retail reason why we see Christmas in the shops earlier and earlier.  I will keep my Christmas spirit to the last but only if I remember to see the potential in the Grinches and Scrooges when I encounter them. 

Where are you Christmas?  You are in the line at the fast food restaurant with an opportunity to be kind to a grumpy man.   Where is Christmas for you today Dear Reader?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon             
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook      Google +    Twitter  Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   



No comments:

Post a Comment