01 August 2019

Carpentry 101 ~ Opening Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

My Grandfather’s vocations were a soldier, a policeman, and then a circuit preacher.  One of his passions was carpentry.  He would take pieces of wood and craft a coffee table or a rocking chair.  He made several toys for me including a race car and a boat that would really sail. 

He taught me how to use a saw and to hammer nails properly.   He showed me how to miter corners and the purpose of brads versus tacks and nails.  I love using a plane and the smell of the fresh curls produced by its use.  I, however, am no carpenter.  I can imagine things but lack the skill my Grandfather possessed.  I have crafted a jewelry box and some passable bookshelves.  My attempts at using a router, however, were disastrous. 

In pondering carpentry, I find that it is one of the best pairings of practical creation and artistry.  Wood is bent, cut, shaped, and joined to become something useful that is also aesthetically pleasing.  In pondering this, I find that I am thinking about the reasons that Jesus was born into a family of carpenters.  Instead of looking at it through the eyes of Jesus, I want to view it from the things that a carpenter does.

I am not sure how long this part of the path will be but my hope is that we can learn more about following our carpenter King in understanding what a carpenter does.   I would truly enjoy your company as we look for the ways of God in a carpentry shed.  Perhaps, Dear Reader, we can find a closer walk with Christ amidst the cedar shavings and sawdust.  As always, your thoughts and questions are welcome and valued.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Google +    Twitter     
Medium   Instagram  Kids BLOG   

No comments:

Post a Comment