23 April 2020

Build it Better ~ Beautiful City

Greetings Dear Reader,

I will write more about this later, but on Monday I had to drive into Atlanta.  I thought about how much the skyline has changed since I lived there as a boy.  When I was young, I could see the spaceship-like Polaris Room from my porch.    So often I dreamt of it being a real flying saucer and taking off into space in it.

As I drove through the city of my birth, I was amazed at how beautiful some parts of it are.  There are still large homes with vast lawns.  Even the smaller homes are farther apart than their likenesses in the northern Midwest.  It also occurred to me that the beauty of this place is not the blooming Dogwood trees or the ivy growing up brick walls that have stood for a century or more.

What makes a city beautiful is its people.  As long as there is hunger, homelessness, injustice, and violence, there is a taint on the beauty of any city.  Avalon mentioned to me last night that in her city, the quarantine has allowed the homeless to surface and be seen.  All I could think about that is what an opportunity we have to address this crisis as we begin to rebuild. 

I have pondered every day the people who have no shelter in which they can shelter in place.  They cannot get a mask or count on family to help their needs.  If we are going to build it better going forward, we must recognize that the homeless situation in our world is unacceptable.  I must see that the work is never done if people are hungry and outcast.  I have been there and no matter how much we talk about programs and organizations, it is our obligation to help.  The problem is ours.

We can build a better city in every city.  We can decide with one voice that this shall no longer stand.  We keep blaming the wealthy for our problems whilst ordering our vente lattés.  Perhaps it is time for us to emerge from our collective social adolescence.  Let us instead follow Christ in his command to love all of our neighbors the way he does.  Let us built is better, Dear Reader and make it a beautiful city.

Beautiful City – Godspell

Come sing with sweet rejoicing
Come sing with love
We're not afraid of voicing
All the things we're dreaming of
Oh, high and low,
And everywhere we go

Yes we can, oh yes we can
We can build a beautiful city
Call it ours, and call it the city of man

We don't need alabaster
We don't need chrome
We've got our special plaster
Take my hand (Take my hand)
I'll take you home (I'll take you home!)
We see nations rise in each other's eyes (in each other's eyes!)

We can build a beautiful city
Yes we can, oh yes we can
We can build a beautiful city
Call it ours, and call it the city of man

Come sing with sweet rejoicing
Come sing with love
We're not afraid of voicing all the things (all the things)
We're dreaming of (we're dreaming of)
Oh, high and low, and everywhere we go (everywhere we go)

We can build a beautiful city
Yes we can, oh yes we can
We can build a beautiful city
Call it ours, and call it the city of man

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 
This BLOG:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

No comments:

Post a Comment