12 April 2020

Holy Week 2020 ~ The World Begins Again


Greetings Dear Reader,

We need to recall that Sunday was not a weekend day for the Apostles.  Sunday in this era is the day after the Sabbath.  It is the day when one may tend to work that needs completion or continuation.

The women leave the Apostles to tend to the body of Jesus.  Again, it is noteworthy that the Apostles did not join them.  It is another missed opportunity.  It is arguable that they do not know yet that Judas is dead.   For some reason, Thomas leaves. 

It may have been simple provisioning or seeking solace somewhere else.  He may have wished to visit the busy market since Jerusalem is populated with Passover vendors.  What we do know is that when Mary returns to let the Apostles know that Jesus is risen.  He is not there.  Only John runs to the tomb.  Then Jesus appears to them all.  Thomas is absent.

I picture him returning with the groceries.  His friends excitedly tell him that Jesus is risen and has come to them.  The ten men he has been with for the last three years assure him that Jesus is alive.  He has been a part of healing the sick, producing food from nothing, and yes, raising the dead.

Still, he says the thing by which he will be remembered for all of time.   “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.” (NIV)  It is a further progression from yesterday’s collective lack of faith and hope among the Apostles.   He has declared that he must see to believe.   His faith is gone.  Ten men he knows and the women there are telling him that they have seen Jesus.  Even that is not enough.

Jesus chooses to answer his doubts directly.  He will lose the opportunity to have faith.  He must live with the conflict an entire week.  The others all believe.  They are not changed as they will be at Pentecost.   They have, however, recovered their faith and hope.  Thomas is still filled with unbelief and hopelessness.

Then Jesus acts.  John 20: 26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” 28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”  29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Thomas seems to be the first person to hear of the resurrection and doubt it.  The line behind him stretches across the centuries from him until now.   Many doubt the resurrection and refuse to see who Jesus is.  I am not here to convince you.  Rather, I am here to testify to the belief I carry.  Jesus is risen.  He lives.  I believe.   We can discuss it if you wish but I will not argue with you about it.

What we learn from the Apostles is that faith is better than seeing.  When faith feels thin is when we must cling to it.  When things are bleak is when we must hope.  Now, Dear Reader, the sun is about to rise and I need to go sit on the veranda and worship the one I have not seen and is risen indeed.  You are welcome to join me.

Better Days – Goo Goo Dolls

And you ask me what I want this year
And I try to make this kind and clear
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
Cause I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
And designer love and empty things
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

So, take these words
And sing out loud
Cause everyone is forgiven now
Cause tonight's the night the world begins again

I need someplace simple where we could live
And something only you can give
And that’s faith and trust and peace while we're alive
And the one poor child who saved this world
And there's 10 million more who probably could
If we all just stopped and said a prayer for them

So, take these words
And sing out loud
Cause everyone is forgiven now
Cause tonight's the night the world begins again

I wish everyone was loved tonight
And somehow stop this endless fight
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

So, take these words
And sing out loud
Cause everyone is forgiven now
Cause tonight's the night the world begins again
Cause tonight's the night the world begins again

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment