15 April 2020

Love in the Time of COVID ~ A Question Answered


Greetings Dear Reader,

Since I have more downtime, I have been watching movies I like whilst writing and staying in place.  I recently watched the original Highlander.  I enjoyed seeing this excellent film again but I also got stuck on a question that is asked.  The music in this film is one of the things that makes it great.  It features the song, Who Wants to Live Forever by Queen (below).

The question that worms through my mind is at the zenith of the song.  The entire question is, “Who dares to love forever oh, when love must die?”  The thing about a question like this is that it becomes invalid if any part of the question is false.  An example would be if I asked you if you preferred to go to the movies on February 30th or 31st.  Since those days do not exist, the question is not a valid one.

Since the dependent clause “when love must die”, the question is only valid if love can die.  I submit that genuine love never dies.  There are people that hate me that I love dearly.  There are people who I love who want nothing to do with me.  I have failed others and been discarded by others.  I do not abandon my love for them.  I have lost my way, but when I honestly consider it, my love does not die.

If we have genuine love for someone, we do not stop loving that person.  We may be wounded and weak from unloving acts by them.  We have resentment due to our own failure to forgive.  When the pressure is on as in our time of sequester, we have to choose if we genuinely love others.  If we do, then the pressure will not be too much for our love.

There are literally billions of disappointments across the globe at this time.  We can find hope if we accept that we can love without fear of love dying.  We can choose love in any circumstance and crush most barriers.  It is in loving others without reserve that we can find the power and strength to endure forced isolation and required cohabitation.  If we choose to show love to others at every turn, we will find the strength to endure this time.

I must continue to look outward and see the places where others need love.  I may only be able to give a kind word, share a laugh, or send a small gift.  I can also assure that I do so out of genuine love.  I can say I love you to others more frequently.  I can share what I have with those in need.  If I act and interact out of love, then it becomes stronger.

Following Christ in this time of COVID means that I do not accept that love will die.  I accept that time will pass and that forever is something good.  There is a time and a place for us, Dear Reader.  It is up to us to see the eternal nature of love and carry it with us into every moment of this distress.  Who wants to live forever?  I do because love does not die.  As I said yesterday, I love you.


There's no time for us
There's no place for us
What is this thing that builds our dreams,
Yet slips away from us?
Who wants to live forever?
Who wants to live forever?

There's no chance for us
It's all decided for us
This world has only one
Sweet moment set aside for us
Who wants to live forever?
Who wants to live forever?
Who?
Oh, when love must die?

But touch my tears with your lips
Touch my world with your fingertips
And we can have forever
And we can love forever
Forever is our today

Who wants to live forever?
Who wants to live forever?
Forever is our today
Who waits forever anyway?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment