23 April 2020

Second Thoughts ~ Everything is Empty


Greetings Dear Reader,

I grew up mostly in Atlanta.  I remember riding on the bus to school the day the “Population Now” sign passed 500,000 and the bus driver pointing it out.  The last time I saw it the number had passed 5,000,000. 

I had to drive from my small hamlet to Atlanta on Monday for an authentic reason.  If you do not know the interstate system in the greater Atlanta area it is a congested mess during rush hour.   I drove through the worst part of that system during morning drive time without touching my brakes once.

It was like the first episode of the Walking Dead when Rick is riding his horse along the interstate with no competition.  There were a few cars moving as I drove but the highway was eerily empty.  The traffic to my destination on surface streets was little different. 

I had to wait for a bit at my destination and waited in my car.  Even the place I had to visit was less busy than it should have been.  Where I parked was not marked against parking and there was no traffic.   Still, a worker came up and informed me and the driver in the car I had parked behind that we had to move.

I watched the driver of the other car berate the worker for his message.  When he came to me, I thanked him for doing his job when it was difficult.  I moved immediately to and empty library parking lot across from a Chic-fil-a.   Whilst I waited the additional hour, I saw the heaviest traffic of the day.  It was dozens of cars lining up to get chicken sandwiches. 

Even in the crowded emptiness, I saw a man do his job when it was difficult.  I witnessed somebody mistreat him for it.  I watched a trained crew serve lunch to hundreds of customers with skill and a bright spirit.  It all revealed that the world is so very empty.  It is the people who fill it.  They bring their hearts to the world and either treat others wrong or right.  In all of that, we either crowd the emptiness with good or ill. 

It is up to me to do good or to do ill.  It is my responsibility to do good.  The world needs all the good we can spare right now.  Even in the empty streets of large cities, we need to treat others great, not just good.  I need to be nice, kind, loving, and attentive.  It is how we make the journey joyous even through the lonely boulevards of cities under siege.  It is how we show Christ to others when it is most difficult.  Help others where you can, Dear Reader.  I will too.  Be kind in every circumstance even when those who lead us forget to do so.  The One we follow never forgets.

Crash-Barrier Waltzer – Jethro Tull

And here slip I --- dragging one foot in the gutter
in the midnight echo of the shop that sells cheap
radios.
And there sits she --- no bed, no bread, no butter ---
on a double yellow line --- where she can park anytime.
Old Lady Grey; crash-barrier waltzer ---
some only son's mother. Baker Street casualty.
Oh, Mr. Policeman --- blue shirt ballet master.
Feet in sticking plaster --- move the old lady on.
Strange pas-de-deux --- his Romeo to her Juliet.
Her sleeping draught, his poisoned regret.
No drunken bums allowed to sleep here in the
crowded emptiness.
Oh officer, let me send her to a cheap hotel ---
I'll pay the bill and make her well - like hell you
bloody will!
No do-good overkill. We must teach them
to be still more independent.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment