08 April 2020

Holy Week 2020 ~ No Guile and a Bit of Denial


Greetings Dear Reader,

The idea of a fine dinner with a noted Pharisee must have appealed to the Apostles.  It also must have been distracting that as they reclined at the table, a woman came in and began to weep over Jesus.  She wet his feet with her tears and washed them.  She dried then with her hair and kissed them.  She poured very expensive perfume over his feet.  Then the trouble begins.

Simon, their host is a Pharisee.  The Apostles are used to Jesus dining with the broken and the outcast.  They are not used to opulence.  Nathanial is watching.  This is the Apostle about whom Jesus has said there is no guile.  Still, he sits and murmurs about the wasted money that could have been had with the perfume.  The Apostles murmur about the money.  Their host, Simon doubts Jesus and judges the woman. 

Whilst the woman is focused on Jesus and her sorrow over her sin, the Apostles worry about money and the Pharisee worries about propriety.   The Apostles are denying or ignoring what is really unfolding this week.  Jesus says clearly that she is anointing him for burial.  Simon the Pharisee is ignoring common hospitality by not having the servants wash the feet of his guests.  Everyone is denying and ignoring the obvious whilst pretending to be holy and righteous. 

It is never the trappings or rituals that matter during our journey to the cross.  If I am with Jesus as his follower, then I must be wholly with him.  I must hear what he says and follow his lead.  If he accepts something, then I must accept it.  If he questions something, then I must question it.  If he says he is going to die, we must walk with him to the cross.

Whether I am a simple follower or religious leader, I must never lose sight of the sin that puts me in need of Christ.  I cannot afford to judge those who see their sin so clearly and act out of love for Jesus.  I must not care what social strata a person emerges from to follow Christ.  I must be the one who has no guile.  I must not judge or neglect hospitality to anyone.  Like the woman with the perfume, I must be the one recognized for my love and devotion to Jesus.  That must be seen in my treatment of others Dear Reader.  My love for Christ must be seen in my love for you as it pours from my broken heart. 


The alabaster case of oil is open
And washing the feet of Jesus
The sweet perfume is poured
I am like the cask I must be broken
So from my heart will flow
A life unto my Lord

Take me through the fire
Father hold me, mold me
Just as you desire
I am just a cup to overflow your will
But first I must be empty to be filled

I saw myself as only drifting
Lost upon the waters
Sinking like a stone
Then your tide washed around me
I was lifted
If I follow the morning star
I’ll be sailing home

Father break me
Take me through the fire
Father hold me, mold me
Just as you desire
I am just a cup to overflow your will
But first I must be empty to be filled

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment