12 April 2021

Why Church ~ Crooked Sticks

Greetings Dear Reader, 

I have long hair and a shaggy beard.   When I first returned to the small hamlet in which I currently dwell, I was searching for a church.  That first Sunday here, I was raw resistant. 

The first church I visited was one that had existed twenty years ago when I lived here.  I dressed nicely and arrived about fifteen minutes before the church start time.  I parked on the outer edge of the parking lot and walked, Bible in hand to the church.  It was large enough for me to get lost in whilst I checked it out. 

There were two men at the door greeting everyone who arrived.  When one of them spotted me approaching, he said, “Good morning, you must be looking for a place to get a haircut.”  I turned on my heel and left.  I was tempted to just return to my room and try again next week.  I did not.  

The next place I tried greeted me warmly and showed me to a seat.  The level of acceptance there is overwhelming.  The church is not perfect but if you are searching for one where they get that we are all crooked sticks in need of Jesus, it is one of them. 

That is the simple thing that a church must do to show the love of the Father.  It must accept you where you are and welcome you.  It must be a place that welcomes anyone that comes.  The Kingdom of God is a come as you are party. 

We are all crooked sticks in need of the Father and his love.  I am supposed to show that love in all that I do so that others feel valued and accepted.  Too many wish to engage in judgment and condemnation.  There are too many barriers we create for those seeking a way in if we judge others.  Those who stand by the door must remember that they are crooked sicks charged with helping other crooked sticks fit into the bundle without judging them. 

It is good to have standards.  We must not use those standards to create barriers or judge others.  If we see a church that practices this, we must understand that there is no love flowing from that practice.  The tone is set by the people.  If it does not reflect the love of the Father, there is something there to avoid.  We need to seek and support local churches that put the command to love first, Dear Reader. 

Wishing you joy in the journey, 

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good. 

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon            
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Bookings: aramisthorn@aramisthorn.com
Facebook     
Twitter        
Medium         
Instagram 
BLOG Archive:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/ 

It is our job to stand by the door to welcome those seeking a way in.

No comments:

Post a Comment