20 October 2016

Second Thoughts – Westboro Baptist Church

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

So today I came face to face with people from Westboro Baptist Church.  They decided to come from Florida to the Midwest to protest and sing and preach.  Those who know me well know that I am a conservative Christ follower.  I am not part of the “religious right” or any organization that teaches hatred to anyone.

Those who know also know that these “Christians” to not represent what we were told by Christ to teach others.  This must be why they chose to target me today based on appearance.  I have long hair and a long beard for those of you who do not know me by appearance.  As I was walking past the protest (it was unclear exactly what they were protesting other than that God would not bend to there will and destroy this city on the spot), they chose to tell me that my long hair was a shame for a man.

Now I need to be clear that in First Corinthians it does say “Doesn’t nature itself teach you that it is disgraceful for a man to have long hair?”  I will not go into right now but I have good reason why I willingly embrace this “disgrace”

The problem as I see it is that nothing I heard from the folks from Westboro came close to the commands from Christ to:

  • Love God with all your heart, soul, and mind
  • Love your neighbor
  • Love your enemies
  • Love one another as I have loved you


I wish to apologize to my city on behalf of those who understand that it is not our place to judge and condemn.  It is my obligation as a Christ follower to love, serve, care, and communicate in a way that shows Christ for who he is and not as a vehicle for my own agenda. 

I want to say to every group that the Westboro people condemn and judge that I love you.  I do not always agree with you.  I will always treat you with respect and kindness.  There are many of us who follow Christ who do not hate or reject people.  Please do not judge Christ based on the bad actions of a few.  I welcome questions and comments on this.  I care that you were treated badly by those who should risk all to show you love and respect; kindness and grace.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment