14 November 2017

Choosing What to Give ~ What about the Box?

Greetings Dear Reader,

We all have heard the adage that little children may be more interested in the box than the gift.  I know people who are masterful at wrapping gifts.  I admire this skill but sorely lack it.  I sometimes wonder if the wrapping takes more effort or cost than the gift.

I have a solution for this that is both elegant and economical.  For my children and grandchildren, I have a set of very festive nesting boxes.  Their gifts or clues to their gifts if they are too big go into the boxes.  I do not ever have to worry about my poor wrapping skills or figuring out how to present the present.

This also frees me to put more thought into the gifts and saves a great deal of time in the wrapping of the gifts once chosen.  If I am going to choose what to give well I must focus my energy on the substance rather than the style.  I can make things look nice so that those who receive the gifts feel valued but the true value must be in what is in the box.

Too often we put all our effort into appearance instead of into the substance of what we give.  We can be polite without being loving.  We can be tolerant without caring.  We give empty time where we do not truly engage.  It does not matter how pretty the package is if it is hollow or without love. 

If I do not engage my heart in choosing what to give others at every level, then my pretty packages are simply empty promises.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)



1 comment:

  1. As I was reading this, in the beginning, I started thinking about how people's lives and the society we live in, it's materialistic and appearance based but hollow. As you said. I enjoy wrapping personally but it's not for the appearance it's the joy of watching someone unwrap it with the joy and wonder in their eyes. I would sarge all to entice that joy and wonder in all that we meet and show an open heart full of God's love and bring people together and show.them the wonder and love of God.

    ReplyDelete