22 November 2017

Second Thoughts – Black Friday, Baubles, and Bells

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

I am sitting down to write this to wind down from pepping Thanksgiving dinner.   I slow roast my turkey overnight.  It is just in the over to gently rise in temperature until morning.  The pies are cooling.  The pudding is chilling.   The dressing is in the pan well chilled and ready for the over tomorrow.  There is more but I will not belabor you now Dear Reader.

This time on Thanksgiving Eve my thoughts turn to what comes next.  My Daughter loves the entire Black Friday shopping thing.   I resist it.   We agree that shopping on Thanksgiving Day wrong.  She spends that time plotting her Friday adventure and nibbling a last slice of pumpkin pie.

I have grown weary of the avarice associated with the time between the last bite of the Thursday meal and the end of cyber Monday.  I will venture out on Saturday or Sunday more to observe than to shop. One of those two days we will decorate for Christmas.  This means that I may pick up a bauble or two for the tree.  If needed I will get some new lights. 

One thing I will do is spend some time bell ringing for the Salvation Army.  This is vital to the needs of so many in a time when want is more keenly felt.  It is easy, only takes a couple of hours per shift, and has the potential to benefit so many.  You can volunteer at ringbells.org .  In ten years they have never pestered me for money or put me on someone’s mailing list.  Ninety-two cents of every dollar goes to the actual charity work they do for others. 

So, as I prepare to feast with family and friends I cast my heart and mind toward the needs of others.  I do this in keeping with the idea that I have so many things to for which to be thankful that I dare not neglect the needs of others.  Join with me Dear Reader; come on ring those bells.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment