20 November 2017

Second Thoughts – The Empty Stool

Greetings Dear Reader,

Sometimes I will end the day with thoughts that are important to get out.  Usually I just write them and put them in my journal folder.  I have chosen that on occasion I will share them with you Dear Reader.

I mentioned last week that my bird died.  There is a aftereffect that has visited me of which I was unaware until today.  I have written before about things that surround my writing space and those things significance to my world.  Sitting where the bird’s cage used to be is the stool upon which it rested. 

The stool is hand painted.  It is black with ferrets on it.  The ferrets were also pets that once enriched my life.  They too have passed on.  Further, the stool was a gift from someone who no longer speaks to me.  She is Avalon’s sister and painted the stool as a gift for us when we were still together.

A simple wooden barstool is a reminder of so much loss.  Yet I would not part with it.  I still treasure the girt that was given, the pets it represents, and the family that is lost to me.  It is strange how these things descend upon our minds with a cruelty that cannot be imagined.  It is also strange how quickly I can remember moments of joy associated with each of these things.

I hold no less love for the people involved in this remembering.  I do not feel the need for pity or comfort concerning it.  What I do feel is the deep sense that simple things can confound us and force us to chain together events so that we deal with loss instead of burying it.  Yet in this season of gratitude I would rather recall how thankful I am for the art, the pets, and the love that still perches upon this stool.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment