21 November 2017

Plenty’s Horn ~ Onions and Celery

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday, in preparation for making Thanksgiving dinner I purchased onions and celery.  A dozen onions were selected from a box that held enough to fill a pallet.  There was no need to judge the celery.  Each rib of the stalk was clean and neatly trimmed.  There were two full pallets of celery there.  I moved on to other items less common but necessary.

I think that the things we use every day get ignored in the times we express our gratitude.   It is only when they become scarce that we value them.  Celery is only ninety-nine cents a stalk (some call the individual ribs of celery stalks.  The stalk is the entire bunch of ribs attached at the root).  It is important to my stuffing. 

A few years ago, my customary grocer was out of celery four days before Thanksgiving.  It has not happened before or since.  Apparently, there was a city-wide shortage of celery.  I do not think anyone ponders not being able to find celery.  I already feel that I have used the word celery far too much.  Still it is a glaring example of something we take for granted unless we cannot find it when we need it.

As I train my heart to be more grateful I must always consider the little things that one takes for granted.  I must see the provision of God in every small thing.  Every cup of cold water that comes from my faucet is something for which to be thankful.  Every breath is a gift.  If I practice gratitude in all the little things I will not have time to be ungrateful.  That is truly something for which to be thankul.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment