28 November 2017

Thanksgiving Leftovers ~ Dressing and Gravy

Greetings Dear Reader,

When it comes to gravy at Thanksgiving I always make my own.  Turkey fat and flour are cooked until they yield that nutty smell that signifies a proper roux.  Clarified pan drippings are added and the pot simmers until thick.

I make both in the bird and in the pan dressing.  The former I call the stuffing and the latter dressing.  The reason should be obvious.  One reads many warnings about the dangers of leftover stuffing so I keep the two separate. 

What I do look forward to is the leftover dressing and gravy.  Thanks to the microwave oven one can reheat the gravy without it separating or becoming too thick.  A bowl of dressing and gravy with some bits of turkey is one of my favorite easy hot meals after Thanksgiving.

It is true that one must have care for the storage and heating of things like dressing and gravy.  It is not that they are immediately fouled once they cool.  It is that they must be stored so as to be safe. 

The translation to practicality in life is obvious.  With care, many things once thought to be dangerous are useful to us now.  The obligation is to assure that deals with them well.  The short of it is that I must be careful to a measure in all things.  I must do all things in faith and in following.  

Leftovers that can be dangerous in life are still able to be faced or handled.  They must be addressed with proper preparation and care.  In this time of year as I deal with memories and moments that are potentially poisonous it is in faith that I will handle them with care.  It is in following Christ that I must use them properly.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. This leftovers series you've been writing has been so deep. We must take care of ourselves and even if we still suffer from leftovers of the past we can forgive and deal with the present knowing that we are in Christ's love and protection. We must always move forward. Thank you for sharing your insites on taking waiting with our leftovers from the past.

    ReplyDelete