29 November 2017

Thanksgiving Leftovers ~ Cranberry, Pie, and Dirt

Greetings Dear Reader,

First, let me say that pie is my favorite desert.  I would rather have pie than most things.  Even savory pies like meat pies are a favorite.  I will explain dirt in a moment. 

First, I would like to think about the cranberry.  It is like a pre-desert you can eat during the meal.  I suppose the same could be said for most versions of sweet potatoes, yam, and butternut squash.  Even for the young being forced to eat their vegetables these are an oasis of sweetness in the desert before desert.

I make pumpkin pie.  Others prefer pecan, mincemeat, or sweet potato pie.  I like them all.  I was once the guest of a family who had seven kinds of pie.  I barely ate my vegetables.  I have met a few people who do not like pie.  I still pray for them.

Then there is dirt.  This is something that my Sons introduced me to when they were young.  It has become a family tradition.  It is a concoction of pudding, butter, cream cheese, and chocolate cookies. Properly mixed it is placed in a flower pot with a fake flower.  The crumbled cookies are sprinkled on top to look like dirt.  Others put gummy worms in it but I find that to be an abomination.   

Leftover pie, dirt, and cranberry are things I enjoy so much.  They must be eaten in proper measure.  They must be eaten before they get too soggy, dry, or separated.  One must see the sweetness in the leftovers.  That which remains still has value.

I must see that in all that there is there will be remainders.  There will be leftover desert.  There is sweetness in life that endures.  There is always something sweet at the end.  I just need to seek it.

Dirt

8 oz.                             Cream Cheese Softened to room temperature
4 oz.                             Butter softened to room temperature
3 cups                          Milk (2 1/2 if using Kailua)
1/2 cup                        Kailua or Amaretto (optional)
2               Packages Inst. Choc. Pudding
1               Package Oreos
1 quart                         Whipped Topping

Blend Cream Cheese and Butter until smooth. In a separate bowl mix pudding mix, milk, and Kailua. Combine these two mixtures and beat until smooth.
Let this set for fifteen minutes.
 
While mixture is setting, crush Oreos till they are fine.
 
Fold the whip cream into mixture. Layer Oreos and Mixture into flower pot and garnish with fake flowers. Chill for at least eight hours. Use as an "Ugly" center piece and serve as dessert

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. I wish to say the fact that you shared your recipes with us, is awesome. You put so much of yourself out there I wish more people would come together and know you. I have really enjoyed this journey with you and sharing it with Christ and I look forward to continuing it with you.

    ReplyDelete