26 October 2019

The Hallowed Days ~ Preparing Gratitude


Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that we are a full month and a bit from Thanksgiving.  I supposed I wished to give everyone a chance to catch up on that promise from last year to be more thankful.  In the quest to set aside part of every day as hallowed, we need to consider this together.

What are we thankful for today?  What is it that springs to mind immediately?  Are we grateful for the things that are there for us every single day?  If we begin to ponder this whilst the turkey is thawing, then we have waited too long.  There are things to be thankful for all day. 

I have chosen to make being thankful for what I have much more prominent than what I desire.  There are things I ask for in my heart.  There are things I seek.  I will not, however, let them keep me from seeing what I have that is truly a blessing.  Developing an attitude toward gratitude has forced me to see how often I take things for granted that I should appreciate more deeply.

As a species, we excel at wanting without seeing and appreciating that which we already have.  When asked how much is enough, we often immediately reply that is must be more.  Like little children, we wish to consume until we are sick.  We want it all now and even think we deserve things.  We are always better than we deserve and remembering that will force us toward gratitude.

A great way to hallow the ground we travel is to develop the discipline of gratitude for simple things.  I am thankful for another day of life.  I express gratitude for my daily provision in a world where others hunger.  I am thankful for the little things that make life easier.  I am grateful for life. 

Perhaps as we prepare for the journey through the last of the year, it is not too late to increase our efforts at gratitude in the spirit of love.  We can express our thankfulness more often.  We can show appreciation.  We can be specific about how others benefit us and reassure them we are grateful.

Perhaps we can agree to try this leading up to Thanksgiving.  Maybe we can begin by being thankful for every person in our lives.  After all, Dear Reader, since we are required to love others without considering if they are worthy, it may be easier if we are looking for things about them for which we are thankful.  Please be confident that I am very thankful for you.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels on Amazon           
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter            

No comments:

Post a Comment