14 January 2020

Liturgy of the Common Man ~ What We Worship


Greetings Dear Reader,

We to consider that we all worship something.  Even if one says he does not believe in God, there is something that receives devotion and laud.  We all have things that are important to us but that is not what I am getting at here.  I am talking about the things that get our devotion and fealty.

The liturgy we form around these things is obvious even though we do not think of it as liturgy.  The easy example is sports.  We wear the colors, cheer the team, and speak the holy words ascribed to our chosen sport.  We are emotionally engaged in wins and losses.  We tithe our pay for tickets.  We have feasts on our tailgates to honor the comradery of our common worship.  We worship our teams to one degree or another.

The liturgy of the common man is filled with worship.  It is within us to worship something.  We may assign this need to science, leisure, art, nature, or food.  We choose what we will worship.  Our hearts and minds become codded in the cants and responses of that which we love.

It is up to me to recognize this liturgy and choose the level in which I participate.  I am not supposed to worship anything other than the Father.  I can enjoy many things without giving myself to them.  Understanding what others worship can help me find common ground and friendship with others.  We can walk together in the enjoyment of shared past times and interests. 

If, however, I am going to be a faithful follower of Christ, I must never join in the liturgy of worship to the point that I compromise my fealty to Jesus.  Do not get me wrong.  I love my Atlanta Braves and want to see every pitch, hit, and run.  I get over-excited about a Jethro Tull concert.  A good meal is a work of art to my eyes, taste, and heart.  What I must not do is cross the line that keeps Christ above and without equal in my mind and heart.

The liturgy of the common man calls me to worship every day.  The horns sound and we are drawn to bow down to things that will never satisfy and will surely disappoint.  I want my entire life to be an act of worship, a prayer of love and gratitude.  I will enjoy the things that the Father provides and share my journey with those who will.  What I want to be is someone who has balance here that reveals my commitment to Christ and all that he has for us.  You are welcome with me on any part of the journey, Dear Reader.  What I want us to share is an understanding that we are all going to worship something, we just need to reason out that it must be the only thing that works.  Our liturgy of the common man must find its true worship in Christ alone.

No Compromise – Keith Green

Make my life a prayer to you
I wanna do what you want me to
No empty words and no white lies
No token prayers no compromise

I wanna shine the light you gave
Through your son, you sent to save us
From ourselves and our despair
It comforts me to know you're really there

Well I wanna thank you now
For being patient with me
Oh it's so hard to see
When my eyes are on me
I guess I'll have to trust
And just believe what you say
Oh you're coming again
Coming to take me away

I wanna die and let you give
Your life to me so I might live
And share the hope you gave me
The love that set me free

I wanna tell the world out there
You're not some fable or fairy tale
That I've made up inside my head
You're God the son and you've risen from the dead

Well I wanna thank you now
For being patient with me
Oh it's so hard to see
When my eyes are on me
I guess I'll have to trust
And just believe what you say
Oh you're coming again
Coming to take me away

I wanna die and let you give
Your life to me so I might live
And share the hope you gave me
The love that set me free

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon                   
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter        

No comments:

Post a Comment