23 January 2020

The Hunger We Feed ~ Developing My Taste


Greetings Dear Reader,

In the ages-long battle of getting children to eat their vegetables, there exists the miracle of ranch dressing.  Almost any vegetable will be consumed by a child if dredged through a suitable quantity of the buttermilk-based condiment.  I recently heard one young child tell his younger sibling, “When you are older like me you will not need ranch just to eat your broccoli.”

As our tastes mature, we can begin to appreciate the tastes we have for things that seemed unpleased but are necessary.  This is true for every aspect of our lives.  We avoid the things we know we should do for which we have no taste.  We embrace the things that please our taste and often we do so to excess.

When we choose to mature our tastes to better ourselves, we become committed to doing that which is tasteless if it is necessary.  I often find that if I work through the tasteless part of developing a good habit, I begin to look forward to doing the things I should be doing.  The satisfaction of doing what is right for the sake of doing right is a taste that I long to develop in everything.

If I keep feeding the hunger of avoidance in any area, I will never develop the mature taste for doing what is right in that area.  It is through choosing to develop my taste for what is right that I can learn to follow Christ more closely.  If I feed the hunger of avoidance, I miss out on the bounty that lies in feeding on righteousness.  By failing to feed the right hunger here, I diminish my resources to love others and am more easily derailed by the temporal problems of the world.

Part of following Christ is developing the right tastes.  It is learning that dining on grace, kindness, mercy, and forgiveness leads to a taste for loving everyone with humility and peace.  The journey home requires that we grow these things so that we can share them with others.  You and I must develop our taste for them, Dear Reader if we hope to feel nourished on the journey.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment