22 January 2020

The Hunger We Feed ~ Opening Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

Anyone who has been around church for any length of time has heard the story of the two dogs.  I will try to relate it without the usual condescension and cultural appropriation.  I remember my Grandfather telling it from the pulpit on a few occasions when I was a boy.

A man is trying to relate his inner struggle.  He explains that there are two dogs inside him that are always fighting.  When relating the story, the narrator is asked, “Which one wins?”  His answer is “the one I feed.”

This obvious illustration about our two natures is a good one.  There is a facet to it that I ponder often and palaver over when I have the opportunity.  That would be the idea that since both of our natures are always hungry; I must examine what they hunger for and how I will manage the hunger.  The hunger is what creates the problems against which we must stand or the solutions we must embrace.

We hunger for many things both physically and emotionally.  Sometimes, we even hunger for things that we have never tasted.  We choose daily the things that we will satisfy and how we will obtain that satisfaction.  Physical hunger is simple enough.  Whether it be food, touch, or rest, we can find ways to fulfill our needs.  Even then we can feed the wrong thing if we are not vigilant. 

I think a more important step would be to identify the desire behind hunger when it comes to my soul and spirit.  I wish to spend some time walking through this and determine what it is that drives me.  When it gets down to it, we so often focus on the hunger we wish fed for our own purposes when we are supposed to hunger and thirst for the things that are righteous and good.

I hope you will keep me company as I ponder the hunger in me and what causes it.  I want to hunger for the right things.  Once I identify them, I wish to humbly ask the Father to provide them.  Your companionship in this is always welcome Dear Reader.  Your thoughts and questions push me to think better and live well.

The Lion’s Share – Dan Fogelberg

Grand slam, your moment's at hand
The day holds a costly bargain
Lost lamb asking the lion's share

Homespun, a prodigal son
Comes begging a humble pardon
But no one rises to hear his prayer

Lone star, you've wandered so far
And long in the unfamiliar
That now you travel a map unknown

Star bright, a constant delight
To those in the dark and still your
Birthright's to shine in the night alone

Living in the shadows
Of the things that might have been
Torn between the blessing and the curse

You may starve the hunger
But you'll never slake the thirst
For the nectar you remember
But you'll never taste again

Nonesuch, your Midas' touch
Has gilded your heart and left you
So much playing the prince of clowns

Hell-bent, empty and spent
Just look what your gamble's got you
Exiled, far from the sacred ground

Living in the shadows
Of the things that might have been
Torn between the blessing and the curse

You may stop the hunger
But you'll never slake the thirst
For the nectar you remember
But you'll never taste again

Grand slam, your moment's at hand
The day holds a costly bargain
Lost lamb asking the lion's share

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:

#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon                   
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter        

No comments:

Post a Comment