30 January 2020

Songs in the Darkness ~ Opening Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

I am going to ask you to sit by the fire with me for a bit.  I have a song for you.  It is by one of my favorite artists.  First, I wish to set a tone and the purpose of the fire is to help you not get chilled whilst we sit. 

Picture if you will a stone chapel high on top of a mountain.  The day is cold and rainy.  The rain is not hard but it is steady and persistent.  I am also in the midst of the clouds providing said rain.  The chapel has a roof but no walls.  On most days it is a place where one can see the vast valley that spreads out beneath.  I have been here on a couple of those days and the view is wonderous. 

Today, however, all I can see is the edge of the mountain and clouds.  I am sitting in cold, in the midst of the rain clouds, and a song begins to spin in my head. 

High on this mountain the clouds down below
I'm feeling so strong and alive

You will be offered the entire song below but I do not wish to go too far too fast.  This series will be centered on the song but the introduction will stand with those two lines.  You see, it was one of those days where I had been driven to drive to this place.  I knew it would be rainy and that I would likely not see much.  I did not realize how clearly my vision would be amidst the clouds on that mountain.

After my time of prayer there, it began to grow dark and I knew that I had to begin the journey back down the mountain.  The song spun through my head as I drove and putting on other music would not chase it out.  This is one of the things that my brain does to herald a deep dive into a piece of music.  I rarely share this event with others as it is an oddity.  Still, if we are going to be genuine with each other, some things must be understood.

I put the song on repeat on my car music and let the words do their work in me and through me.  It was true that I feel strong and alive.  It is true that I had finely deeply understood the importance of that first line and how it leads to the import of the piece.  It also allows the darkness through which I floated as I drove take on a bit of mystery. 

It is the darkness that matters.  It is me alone in the dark after the dim lonely gray of the mountain that I wish you to see.  There is no one there to share my epiphany of understanding.  There is no conversation to distract me from the whispered truths of the earworm in the drifting dark.   

So please sit by the fire and we will ponder the songs that rise in the darkness when our hearts are open; when they are more flesh than stone.  Journey with me through a song and perhaps we can more clearly see how it speaks to all of us.  The darkness always has something to say.  Our hearts must be keen to hear.

I will share with you my thoughts on this and hopefully, the song in the darkness can aid in lighting our way home.  As always, I treasure your thoughts and questions, Dear Reader.  The song calls us all and it is the Piper who askes us to join him.

Netherlands – Dan Fogelberg

High on this mountain the clouds down below
I'm feeling so strong and alive
From this rocky perch, I'll continue to search
For the wind and the snow and the sky

Oh, I want a lover and I want some friends
And I want to live in the sun
And I want to do all the things
That I never have done

Sunny bright mornings and pale moonlit nights
Keep me from feeling alone
Now, I'm learning to fly and this freedom is like
Nothing that I've ever known

Oh, I've seen the bottom and I've been on top
But mostly I've lived in between
And where do you go
When you get to the end of your dreams?

Off in the Nether lands, I heard a sound
Like the beating of heavenly wings
And deep in my brain, I can hear a refrain
Of my soul as she rises and sings

Anthems to glory and anthems to love and
Hymns filled with earthly delight
Like the songs that the darkness
Composes to worship the light

Once in a vision, I came on some woods
And stood at a fork in the road
My choices were clear yet I froze with the fear
Of not knowing which way to go

One road was simple acceptance of life
The other road offered sweet peace
When I made my decision
My vision became my release

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment