18 January 2020

Second Thoughts ~ Parents at Kid’s Sporting Events


Greetings Dear Reader,

Part of my morning was spent watching my nephew play basketball for his middle school.  The drive to the opposing team’s gym was a long one but I wanted to support my nephew.  We took our seats midcourt and midway up the risers.

Not two minutes into the game a parent of one of the players on the other team started “coaching” his son.  His tone was angry and aggressive. His words were demeaning and demanding.  He was berating his son as if lives were at stake in a middle school basketball game.  This continued the entire game.

As much as I wanted my nephew’s team to win, I was relieved for the sake of the other boy that the opponents won.  I have been pondering this all day.  When did it become allowable for us to berate children in front of others?  What is that makes us miss the opportunity to be encouraging at every turn?

In contrast, I listened as my brother and sister-in-law cheered for my nephew’s team.  They loudly expressed the pleasure at the progress the team has made this season.  They did not just cheer their son.  The entire team received praise for doing the best that they could.

As I work at becoming lovingly unoffendable, I realize that idiot parents will be a hard row to hoe.  I will, however, turn this soil and plant new seeds of loving understanding.  I had to make sure that I did not take up offense at this misguided father.  I had to attend to see just what loving parents my brother and sister-in-law are.  This must extend further, however.

I must see that I journey through a world where people hurt each other constantly.  I have to guard against increasing that hurt, mitigating it where I can, and forgive those who harm me.  It is vital that I not take offense when I am not even part of the interaction.  It is these small things that can turn my tide to one that flows in kindness, mercy, and grace always.
 
Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon                 
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook        Twitter       
Medium           Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment