24 January 2020

The Hunger We Feed ~ Dining on Leftovers

Greetings Dear Reader,

If I ponder some of the best meals I have ever enjoyed, I can recall good times with family and friends, good food, and delightful delicacies.  Whether the meal is prepared by others, by me, or at a restaurant, the memories are carried on the recalled conversation, taste, and the experience.  Watching my Grandsons taste and enjoy foods for the first time is a prime example of a meal that I can recall and enjoy over and over again.

Often when I have food similar to that which I shared at a special moment; I recall that moment.  I reminisce over conversations and situations that brought me joy.  We all wish for things to be that way again.  The difficulty is that when I recall something wonderful, I cannot dine on those memories alone. 

We hunger for the feelings those moments gave us but that hunger can only be sustained by feeding it new good things.  Where we fail is that we try to force those situations instead of allowing them, as they did the first time, to arise naturally.  We load the environment with expectations instead of seeing the joy that is there on its own.

The conversations, experiences, and interactions we have all possess the potential to feed our need for fellowship, joy, and love.  It is like dining on those meals of celebration.  One must be sure to be present in that moment, dining on what is there instead of trying to satisfy our expectations.  Engaging in wishing for that which we desire instead of feasting on what the Father has provided is doomed to failure. 

Every moment has something to sustain us for the next one.  Every day has its blessings to fight the curse.  Each interaction and experience has something for us to gain a deeper understanding of who the Father is and how much he loves us.  Instead of seeking that, we focus on what we want the moment to be based on our memories and desires. 

It is good to appreciate the past.  It is satisfying to recall that which is good and let it make us hungry for good things.  We must, however, find those good things in the new experiences and not force leftover memories into them.  There is something in every event and eventuality to draw us closer to Christ if we look for it.  When I encounter you, Dear Reader my obligation is to show love to you and see what that yields.  It is not to demand that you reproduce feelings for me that I desire.

It is in the love that we give that we find our substance.  Demanding that others satisfy us based on our leftover memories only leads to being offended when we go unsatisfied.  That is the danger of trying to dine on memories.  Let us share a meal of reality based on love and kindness.  We will dine in peace and lovingly sustain each other.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 
This BLOG:  http://aramisthorn.blogspot.com/  

No comments:

Post a Comment