25 January 2020

The Hunger We Feed ~ Patterns of Taste


Greetings Dear Reader,

There is someone I love who has a problem for every solution.  The conversations with this individual usually go like this:

The person offers a statement of a problem in the form of a complaint.
Someone offers a very reasonable, practical, and applicable solution.
The person lists all the reasons why that solution will not work and goes on to complain about the problems with all the solutions.

This person’s hunger is to complain about things and not to find solutions to the problem.  The feasting on the complaints is the way in which this individual engages with the world.  Spending time with this person is to hear the problem present in every situation whether solicited or not.

There are two distinct challenges with this that I must recognize so that I continue to feed the hunger that is healthy.  The first is that I should understand that I do this at times.  When I am angry or frustrated over something, I can become unreasonable and fail to see the value of solutions offered by others.  I have to be humble to the reality that when I am irritated, I have to guard my mouth and thoughts so that I do not hurt those who wish to help me.

The second thing that I must guard against is feeding my hunger to resent people whose life patterns are to be this way.  If I fail to dine on forgiveness, forbearance, and love, I will instead feast on judgment and dismissal.  There is no satisfaction in the latter and my appetite for this will increase with every indulgence.  In the same way, if I develop my hunger for grace and mercy, I will feel satisfied in the right way when I show it without pride.

We all know someone who feasts on complaints, Dear Reader.  What I have to do is develop a habit of feeding them love and kindness, empathizing where I can, and avoiding the anger but not the person.  We are able to have peace in every situation if we refuse to dine on the offenses offered by the inconsolable. 

It is in knowing what is happening and choosing to rise above it that I can find the path to interacting with that person in love.  I will be healthier through refusing to be offended by another person’s choices.  Perhaps, I can even lighten the load for them by listening without losing my perspective and peace.  Shall we try it together, Dear Reader?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment