18 February 2020

Natural versus Narrow ~ Change and Choices


Greetings Dear Reader,

I visited a glen that I have not seen in twenty years.  I went there to pray for a friend.  The change in it was drastic but it was still open enough to see the sky.  It is still winter and the ground is damp from perpetual rain.   Come Spring the ground will be filled with wild daffodils. 

The trees surrounding the place are taller.  An old ash tree has fallen or been felled by the wind.  The place seems still undiscovered by other humans.  There is one spot where a large animal, likely a deer, takes rest often.  I spent my time in the glen I call Daffodils praying under the sunny sky, thankful that it was still here and relatively undisturbed.

On the drive back, I was pondering the changes.  I spent my time thinking that I was thankful that none of the many changes had transformed the place into something different from my very fond memories.  There were many firsts and lasts in this place long ago.  Then it occurred to me that the thing in that glen that was the most changed was me.

When I grew to love that place, I was making bad choices based on changes beyond my control.  I was allowing the changes to change me in ways that were not healthy and deviated from the path I am supposed to walk if I hope to follow Christ well.  My faith was intact but my following became poor due to my failure to control how the changes transformed me.

My crisis back then arose out of the mounting pain of events that had piled up on my mind and spirit.  My failure was that in the midst of all the changes coming at me, I did not control how those things altered me.  I allowed my heart and mind to follow the path that seemed most comforting to me instead of choosing the narrow path that would be the most beneficial.

Things that we cannot control happen and they change us, Dear Reader.  What we can control is how they change us.  What we can choose is our response to the changes.  When pain and loss assail us, we can still follow in faith.  We can choose to stay on that narrow path that is love for all others. 

I am privileged to see a friend who is in the midst of a storm of change handling those changes by following Christ at a closer pace.  Choosing how the changes have impact and change him/her make all the difference.  This is the nexus in which we must live if we are to follow faithfully.  This is where I am choosing to be and must remain. 

When Job lost almost everything in a day, he chose that the changes would change him into a man of deep faith and more devout love for the Father.  Please, Dear Reader, let us encourage each other into the same narrow choice as we are changed into that which we must become.  I am resolved to do this and treasure your company as we continue the journey home together.  What do you say?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment