24 February 2020

Read the Label ~ My Label Maker


Greetings Dear Reader,

I own one of those cool label makers that have a small screen and will print out a label for you.  I purchased it at a yard sale with four different kinds of ribbon for just a few dollars.  I like to label things where I cannot tell the difference between items easily or where knowing the contents without opening it is advantageous.

For example, I have a set of external hard drives on which I store movies, music, writing, and other data.  Since they are identical to the eye, they are labeled with names they have been assigned on my network.  Over the years, this has proven quite valuable in troubleshooting and when rotating out drives near end of life.

Similarly, I have a few storage bins that match.  They are opaque but not transparent.  I cannot always make out the contents so I have labeled them.  Unfortunately, I will occasionally put things in one of those bins that does not match the category.  The contents change but the label does not. 

We do the same with people and that too is unfortunate.  We put a label on the individual and determine that he or she is that.  Even when that person learns and grows, we see our affixed label and not the content of the heart.  We go by our recall from the label and not the current contents of the package.

It is clear that we do not want to be seen by others through the labels of our past.  Another aspect of my DYMO label maker is that it is easy to remove labels when I need to change them.  When dealing with people, we should first be very careful about the labels we affix.  As important is that we must remove them when we see change.  We must always be looking to see if the contents have changed.

The danger of labels when affixed to humans is that we reduce them to that alone.  We put them into neat little labeled boxes.  Sometimes, we even put those boxes on a shelf declaring the humans unworthy of our love and kindness.  We convince ourselves that the love we show to others is enough.  Those we have labeled unworthy get relegated to the attic.

When we label others in this way, they become the “least” that Jesus spoke of.  They are never that from his perspective but surely that have become so from ours.  He is clear that how we treat those we have labeled unworthy is how we treat him.  I know clearly how I have labeled some people.  If, however, I hope to follow Christ, I must read the labels he assigns every human.  The label he puts on everyone is this, “worthy of my life.”   He loves every human no matter their state as deeply as he loves you and I, Dear Reader.  This means that our labels fade in comparison.  If we hope to follow well, we must read only the labels assigned by Christ.  They all command us to love others as he loves them.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment