19 February 2020

Natural versus Narrow ~ Highway or Byway


Greetings Dear Reader,

I have on two occasions traveled a great distance on US Highways instead of the interstate.  One was a motorcycle trip up old US 19 from Georgia to Erie, Pennsylvania.  I was not in a hurry and young enough to not care about the weather or sleeping niceties. 

It is still my favorite long drive that I have taken.  I hope to someday produce something worth reading from the journey.  I have notes of the adventure and the lessons I learned along the way.  What made it great was being forced to see my travel at a leisurely pace.

I love driving and I love long distances.  There is usually not time to take the byways and so I stick to the highways.  I am working at living a life that allows more roads less taken.  The point is that if we are willing to invest the time, the narrow path has more to offer than the highway.

We get to highways via the byways.  At some point, we choose to leave the narrow road for the broad fast path.  At some juncture, we realize that it is the narrow way that holds the most for us.  If we define the narrow way as following Christ, and his prime directive is love, then how can we hope to find better on another path?

The natural desire is to follow a broader and easier way.  If, however, our narrow path is to love others in every act, there unfolds from that infinite possibilities.  There are so many adventures available if we make the journey about the travel and not the destination.

We are not ignorant of our destination but the things we are supposed to do are involved in the travel.  The opportunities to voluntarily show love, give hope, and evidence faith are here.  Once we arrive at the destination of our pilgrimage, there will be no need for hope or faith.  Love will be the way of all paths there.   It is then, my obligation to choose the byway of love over the highway of self every time. 

Every stop along the way has the potential to touch the heart of a fellow traveler.  Each encounter is the opportunity to deliver hope and entice faith in others through love.  If the byway we travel is only love, it blocks out everything that would distract others from finding faith and hope.  It puts us in the right place at every turn of the journey.

I have been so captive from my dreams by my own choices that I have failed to walk the narrow byway often.  I am rebuilding everything about my journey so that I can follow the path of love more fully and consistently.  I want to spend my remaining days encouraging others to do the same.  I want them to reach for the path that is only theirs.  I want to use love to give them faith and hope to follow their byway, their dreams.  If you will journey with me, Dear Reader, we can do it together and make the pilgrimage all the more delightful.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment