08 February 2020

Songs in the Darkness ~ Choices

Greetings Dear Reader,

Once in a vision, I came on some woods
And stood at a fork in the road
My choices were clear yet I froze with the fear
Of not knowing which way to go

Once I was sitting in a clearing in a jungle.  I had gone there to pray and meditate.  I was there longer than planned and the sun set behind the mountain to my west.  The clearing lay in a valley so the darkness descended rapidly. 

I, however, was not yet finished with my prayer and thinking.  I was prepared for the place I was in.  I had a light and a means to protect myself.  I chose first to embrace the darkness.  As the nocturnal jungle came alive around me frogs began to speak to each other.  Fireflies began to signal their amorous desires.  Two pairs of eyes appeared at the edge of the clearing.  Then a low growl echoed from somewhere nearby.

My first response was fear.  I had leaned the sounds of the big cats in the jungle and this was a Jaguar.  In case you do not know, Dear Reader the Jaguar is the third-largest cat in the world.  I sat frozen for a moment.  Then it occurred to me that my fear could do nothing about the situation. 

If I was going to be safe, I had to walk through the jungle back to camp.  There was no alternative other than staying in the clearing alone.  If I called out, I was too far away to be heard.  Eventually, I might be missed but no one knew where I was.  I turned on my torch and walked carefully, calmly by its light back down the path to the compound.  In case you are wondering, I did not die.

The bottom-line truth is that we make choices in the darkness.  We decide if our fear, pain, and longing are going to rule us.  We choose if anger and hurt have sway over us or if, in the darkness, we are going be the light we are supposed to be.  If we embrace fear the light cannot show us the way.  The way out is almost always through.

It is in the darkness that we can learn to refine our fear into fuel.  We can allow the choices to distill into the obvious by discerning which one leads to the light.  In the darkness, the choice that is light is obvious.  We shutter the beacon with fear and doubt.  We choose to remain in the dark, silent instead of composing the songs that give us courage.  Every moment holds the opportunity to take a further step toward home no matter how dark it is now.  And it is true of this life, this darkness, that the only way out is through.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram  

No comments:

Post a Comment