02 February 2020

Songs in the Darkness ~ The Road Ahead


Greetings Dear Reader,

And I want to do all the things
That I never have done

As I was driving back from my mountaintop visit, a yearning that has been growing in me found resonance in the song repeating on the stereo.  Forming thoughts on what is next for me, I long to tick off some of the things that I have yearned to do since I was very young.  This line sounds within me and the road calls me.  I am not free to set out yet but through the grace and love of the Father, I am a step closer.

Sometimes I think that the wanderer in me could just travel with no purpose or plan.  This is not all wrong but it is not enough.  It is good to be free and willing to go wherever the Spirit drives me.  I must, however, have a purpose.  Fortunately, that purpose is defined for me.

The things we wish to do must all have the purpose of loving the Father with all that we are.  If we work, it is to be done as if we are doing it out of love for the Father.  Our hobbies, interests, and interactions are all supposed to be aligned the same way.  Everything should arise from me as an expression of love to the Father. 

Martin Luther expressed this as, “Love God and do as you please.”  This leads to some clearer thinking about how my day, years, and life should unfold.  I mentioned a few weeks ago the idea of expressing to others an approach of filtering everything through the primary statement of “I love you.”   The idea is to begin all things with the statement “I love you so…” 

Let us then translate this to the choices of where we go and what we do.  The thought I am trying to master is, “I love you Father so I am going to…”   This makes the choices clear in many situations.  I cannot do things that do not communicate love and make this statement honestly.  It encompasses the position of loving other humans.  It embodies the freedom found pursuing only following the Son out of love.

When Jesus said to deny our own interests and follow him, he did not take away our freedom but instead made it part of all we do in life.  If I filter my wants through my love for the Father and following the Son, the songs in the darkness are songs of hope.  If I am not doing this, the songs remind me of what I do not have and lack hope.  When I begin to feel a lack of love or hope, I need only to see if what I am wanting is in alignment with my love for the Father.

It sounds easy but it is not always.  I may have to focus on the Father more intently to bring my desires back in line with my love for him.  If I am acting out of love for God, Dear Reader, then I can do as I please and will not go wrong.  If I strive to love the Father with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength, then the road will open as it should and I will be content.  You are always welcome as a fellow traveler.  Your companionship is always part of the most beautiful songs.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment