22 February 2020

Natural versus Narrow ~ Closing Thoughts


Greetings Dear Reader,

The natural way of things is to look out for ourselves and neglect others to do so.  The nature of humans is to get their wants and needs met.  When I say this, I include my own motivations and desires.

The narrow path, however, can be learned through honesty and discipline.  Let us return to the understanding of our hard deck.  We are to love the Father with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength.  We are to love others as the Father loves them.  Last night someone asked me how we live that out practically.

My answer helped clarify the natural versus the narrow path for me.  The narrow path is to see the love of the Father in every situation.  It is to choose to let that be the focus.  Here is the example I gave my friend.

When sitting in a restaurant waiting to be served, I consider the things in front of me.  There is cutlery rolled in a napkin with that little paper tape around it.  I have also have a large cup of Diet Coke.  How do I show my love for the Father in that moment?  In that space, it begins with my thoughts and their attunement toward gratitude and grace.

First, let us consider the rolled bundle of cutlery.  I unwrap it.  As I do, I recognize that hardworking servers have to roll those bundles as part of their “side work” during their shift.  That neatly rolled knife and fork in that napkin are the product of a server creating a certain number of them at the beginning or end of her shift.  If I am going to focus on loving the Father, I have to express gratitude for the work that goes into that small convenience. 

Further, a dishwasher made sure that the knife and fork were clean.  Someone ordered quality napkins to roll them in and the paper band used to seal them and create an air of fancy.  I like to play with the paper bands.  It is gratitude and love that are to be my focus. 

My drink, a Diet Coke with no ice and a slice of lime, was delivered exactly as I requested it.  Sometimes, due to the automatic nature of putting ice in a beverage glass, this is not true.  I think grateful thoughts that our server is attentive and accurate.  I take a moment to pray for her wellbeing.  I watch as she attends other tables.  I can see how busy she is and make sure that we are all ready to order so we do not cause her to make extra trips.  It is in this intentional observance of what is going on around us that we show love to the Father

Loving the Father with all that we are is the narrow way of painting a very broad stroke.  That stroke is capturing every thought, action, attitude, and emotion to serve his desire that we love all that he has made.  When the server does not get the drink right, my response must be one of kind patience.  When the food is not right, one does not blame the server. 

Commands such as the one to think of others better than ourselves are not to demean us.  They exist to teach us to narrow our focus to loving others so that we are unoffendable.  It is letting the things that come at us be met with our impenetrable armor of love and faith.  In recognizing that we can capture every thought to direct it toward love for the Father, we can then live out a life of walking the narrow path of love for our fellow travelers. 

This is my sole intent.  I fail every single day at some point.  I do, however, determine to reset my thinking each time I do and work toward building loving kindness and being lovingly unoffendable.  It is hard.  It requires discipline.  It is, however, the most peaceful thing I have ever done Dear Reader.  You are always welcome to join me in the effort.  I treasure your presence as we travel together.

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) – Green Day

Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

So take the photographs and still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth it was worth all the while

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

It's something unpredictable, but in the end, it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment