25 May 2020

Second Thoughts ~ Are We Keeping the Faith?


Greetings Dear Reader,

When we ponder those we remember on Memorial Day, we must consider what motivated them to give their last full measure for our country.  In the many wars of the last century the thousands who died all had a single purpose.  They died to protect our freedom. 

I envision their completion of that duty as an act of faith.  They gave their lives believing that their country was worth the effort because of freedom and American ideals.  They were not perfect and neither was our nation.  Rather, it is the notion that we would improve on the values for which they died.  They fought evil in the world to promote a society that offered liberty and the pursuit of happiness. 

I am not here to stand in judgment of anyone.  I am here to ask if I honor their sacrifice.  I am wondering if I am keeping the faith they placed in me when they traded their lives for my freedom.  It is my inherited obligation whether I wish it or not.  I grew up surrounded by the freedoms they purchased with their blood.  I live as a free man because of their life and death.

If I dare call myself a follower of Christ then I must also stand for the faith that is placed in me by those who left our shores and died without finding home again.  If I hope to keep my faith in Christ, I must honor the sacrifice of those who bought my freedom.  This does not mean that I sing the song of America right or wrong.  It is that I hold her to a higher standard.  I must honor the faith that Christ demands of her.  We have been given much so much is expected of us.  We have been overly blessed; we must be a blessing.  The tired poor are my responsibility.  The stranger must not go hungry.  Those yearning to breathe free are entitled to my air. 

If I hope to keep faith with Christ, I must keep faith with those who died to provide me the freedoms I enjoy.  I must live out his love and compassion for all who I encounter.  I must use my freedom to extend freedom to others.  I must keep my faith to keep theirs.  I must love the soldier, the civilian, and the enemy even if my own nation turns on me for it.  I must keep the faith, Dear Reader even if that requires my own life.  It is the only way to honor theirs.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment