01 May 2020

You Do Not Get to Know Why ~ Why Did You Do That?


Greetings Dear Reader,

Some thunder is soft and distant.  It does not mean that there is no storm.  It does mean that the storm has not yet reached us at an impactful level.  One of the great subtle harms we can do to those we love is sound that thunder.

We do this to each other in the guise of seeking understanding.  Someone does something that is out of bounds in some way.  We enter a discussion about it and insist on knowing why he or she did it.  If one is genuinely seeking understanding there is no harm in the question.  If, however, this is a method of bringing guilt, judgment, or condemnation to the other person, it is wrong.

I am a recovering why asker.  It was a method I employed to exercise control and power over others.  The truth of it is that if I am dealing in love, I do not need to know why except for the purpose of compassionate understanding.   I do not get to know why when it is motivated by my unhealthy desires. 

The thing that I must do is lay aside my desire to know why and deal with others in compassion and kindness.  Part of becoming unoffendable is that I do not seek power over others when they have done wrong.  I do not need it.   Rather, I need to harness the power of Christ to forgive and go beyond forgiveness to loving restoration.  I need to understand if it helps me do this.  I do not need to understand in order to treat others with understanding.

It is in refusing to use why as a weapon that we learn to seek the person rather than the explanation.  We can gain greater peace with others if we leave behind asking why and instead seek how we can love and restore, what we can do to build peace, and remember who it is we serve and follow.  If we can do this, we can yield more peace and follow Christ more clearly, Dear Reader.

It is in abandoning the judgmental why that I find the freedom to love and be gracious.  It is the emptying of self that leads to being filled with love that transcends our need for justification by others.  It is on that path that we can find a way to restore each other in love.  That is an understanding we all need.  This is the thunder we want to bring; the thunder that destroys judgment and rains down love on everyone.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment