13 May 2020

The One Ring ~ Bilbo Baggins


Greetings Dear Reader,

When we begin reading Tolkien’s masterworks, Bilbo is the first Hobbit we meet.  It is clear that his life is simple and sedentary.  He is also not all that he appears to be on the surface of it.

After hastily joining the quest to recapture the Lonely Mountain, Bilbo finds the One Ring under the Misty Mountains in the caves where Gollum lost it.  He finds the ring just before Gollum finds him.  Gollum’s plan is to kill Bilbo and eat him.  Bilbo recognizes right away the danger of his situation.  He wins a riddle contest and Gollum goes to fetch his ring to kill Bilbo.

Bilbo accidentally discovers that the renders him invisible.  He then finds that he has Gollum at his mercy near the exit of the caves.  He holds his sword, ready to dispatch the wretched creature but instead has mercy and lets him live.  This turns out to be the act that both alerts Sauron to the location of the ring and results in its destruction.  Even though there is great suffering because Hobbits and the Shire come to the attention of the Dark Lord, it is Gollum who falls into the cracks of doom destroying the One Ring.

The other aspect of Bilbo that is vital to understand is that he willingly gave up the ring to Frodo.  He is the first to do so and was able to carry it out after possessing it for many years.  Unlike other ring bearers, he possessed it more than it possessed him.  Gandalf speculates that some greater force wanted Bilbo to find the One Ring.  We must remember that the entire story is an allegory of redemption.

The parallel for me is obvious and vital.  I do not understand when times are dark or dangerous.  It happens.  We either turn to the Father in faith or we do not see that the purpose behind most tragic things is beyond us.  Like Bilbo, I cannot see the design behind all that unfolds.  My current distress may lead to some great thing unfolding of which I have no understanding. 

The key for me is the example of mercy, duty, and power I see in Bilbo.  He had mercy even when assaulted or insulted.  He kept to his duty even when facing death and dragons.  He let power go willingly when he realized that he could no longer hold it.  When he did hold it, he used it carefully.  We cannot wield power without it impacting us, but we can choose to do so in a way that does not harm others.

I must see past simplicity of life to the richness of being included in the grand story.  Job reminds us that even if things are tragic it serves the will of the Father.  Bilbo shows us that going through great trial and sorrow can still lead to good.  I must believe all of this whether I have power over it or not.  I must realize, Dear Reader, that I do not understand everything about my part in the story.  I do know that I must follow the path and the One who leads me.  The road leads home eventually no matter how dark the current passage. I must follow.  You are always welcome company.

The Road Goes Ever On and On – J.R.R. Tolkien – Performed by CamillasChoice

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains in the moon.

Roads go ever on and on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate,
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a homeowner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Every human story is part of the great story that leads to the Father getting everything back to Good.

Contacts for Aramis Thorn:
#aramisthorn
Support Page on Patreon: www.patreon.com/aramisthorn
Novels: From My Publisher or on Amazon          
Web Page:  www.aramisthorn.com
Facebook       Twitter        
Medium         Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment